01. seeing the enemy

SEEING THE ENEMY, chapter one

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

❝ 𝘺𝘰𝘶𝘳 𝘢 𝘤𝘩𝘪𝘭𝘥 𝘵𝘰𝘰 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘬𝘯𝘰𝘸 ❞ 

𝐋𝐀𝐕𝐄𝐍𝐃𝐄𝐑 𝐋𝐎𝐎𝐊𝐄𝐃 𝐎𝐔𝐓𝐒𝐈𝐃𝐄 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐋𝐔𝐗𝐔𝐑𝐈𝐎𝐔𝐒 𝐓𝐑𝐀𝐈𝐍 𝐖𝐀𝐓𝐂𝐇𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐀𝐒 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐖𝐀𝐋𝐋𝐒 𝐖𝐄𝐑𝐄 𝐂𝐋𝐄𝐀𝐍𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐂𝐋𝐎𝐒𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐎 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐂𝐀𝐏𝐈𝐓𝐎𝐋 𝐓𝐇𝐄𝐘 𝐆𝐎𝐓

𝐋𝐀𝐕𝐄𝐍𝐃𝐄𝐑 𝐋𝐎𝐎𝐊𝐄𝐃 𝐎𝐔𝐓𝐒𝐈𝐃𝐄 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐋𝐔𝐗𝐔𝐑𝐈𝐎𝐔𝐒 𝐓𝐑𝐀𝐈𝐍 𝐖𝐀𝐓𝐂𝐇𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐀𝐒 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐖𝐀𝐋𝐋𝐒 𝐖𝐄𝐑𝐄 𝐂𝐋𝐄𝐀𝐍𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐂𝐋𝐎𝐒𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐎 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐂𝐀𝐏𝐈𝐓𝐎𝐋 𝐓𝐇𝐄𝐘 𝐆𝐎𝐓. "Did your mum say goodbye to you" a little voice popped out and Lavender knew it was Hunter just by the innocence of his voice "yeah I did" Lavender said sighing finally looking at the young boy "how old are you?" she asked watching as he wiped his hands on his khaki pants "well today's my birthday" he explained looking at the girl who had tear eyes "how old did you turn?" she asked trying to calm the boys nerves by talking about anything but the death games they were going to be thrown in.

"twelve" he answered shrugging his shoulders.

Lavender looked up trying to hide the waterfalls that oh so badly wanted to fall down her cheeks──but she couldn't. Lavender couldn't cry in front of Hunter she needed to be strong.

for both of them.

Quickly standing up she scratched the young boys hair off to find Jules and Dash their mentors. Upon entering the first room she looked to her left to see a quiet Honor Sapphire "your quiet" Lavender noted putting her hands behind her back "these things are never easy" she responded looking out the window.

Honor tried her hardest not to become close to the tributes that walked in and hardly ever out of those doors, the heartbreak of watching a child grow as a person in her grasps just to have their lives cut short in the games.

"wouldn't of thought it was" Lavender said sitting on the couch beside her. there was a comfortable silence after that, like on a cold night and you finally find the warmness of your blankets.

"I knew your brother"

Until the blankets are ripped off and your left in the cold──desperate for that warmth back again.

Noticing the silence of the girl Honor continued on "he was a lovely boy just like you" she said looking at the Prewitt girl "you've known me two hours" she said back not believing the woman "Ares told me stories" she explained smiling genuinely which Lavender had never seen a capitol worker do ever.

"Told me stories about his little sister Lavender but everyone just called her Lav" she laughed sniffling "he told me about his beautiful girlfriend Eliza and how he planned on marrying her when he got out" 

Lavenders head popped up at the sound of Eliza's name "I wasn't aloud to say goodbye to her" Eliza said bringing her knee's up to her chest "or Decklin" she said looking at Honor "how is he──the baby?" Honor asked an interest spiking between them "he's three now Lavender explained picking up a fork that was on the table next to her "I make him these toys so he can play" she sniffed tears daring to spill from her waterline.

When Lavender finished making the fork into a human like figure she turned to Honor "these are the type of toys Hunter should be playing with not knifes against careers or people triple his size" she said while the anger within her was tumbling around daring to spill "and I will do anything to help him get back and live his life"

"well that was inspiring" a voice erupted bringing both the females out of their weary state, turning around Lavender saw the face of one of their mentors Jules Stasia winner of the 41st Hunger games.

"that emotion" she said pointing towards Lavender "is probably going to get you killed" she explained sitting on the seat in front of Lavender with a drink in hand  "or it can get you sponsors" she pointed out passing Lavender a drink "oh I don't-"

"you need it trust me"

"oh ok" Lavender said dumb founded of the older women giving her alcohol, placing the drink down hesitantly she breathed in "that little boy in the other room is twelve years old" she said placing her hands together "it's his birthday today" she smiled. A singular tear rolling down her face as the two older women looked away "we must celebrate then" Honor clapped standing up and walking towards the door "don't hit your hair on the way out" Jules smiled before looking at the seventeen year old girl she had never seen in your life "now tell me what's it like at school?" she asked leaning forward grasping her hands together.

"how does that have to do with the games?" Lavender responded entirely confused "shouldn't you be asking me what weapon I can use" she said leaning back "well do you use a weapon in district nine?" Jules asked shrugging her shoulders "no" Lavender answered.

"so how's life at school?" 

"It's okay I just try and stay out of any drama but with my brothers death it seems like I'm somehow in the spotlight of everything" Lavender replied "so your good with people?" Jules summed up "I'm good with kids" Lavender corrected her "well they're liabilities" Jules shrugged now leaning back.

"you seem to be good with people" Jules pointed out pointing towards the seat Honor was just sitting at "never seen her cry in front of a tribute" she said "that was only because of my broth-" 

"Ares Prewitt" Jules butted in "I knew him he was closer with Dash but you know male  testosterone and everything" she sighed standing up to pour another drink "it's a sad story both siblings going into the games just three years apart" she said sitting back down "capitol will eat that up" 

"having a sad story will get you sponsors and with no weapon training I suggest you need it" Jules explained looking at the door which Hunter sat behind "you care for the boy?" Jules asked placing her glass on the table "he's only a child" Lavender sighed looking down.

Standing up Jules went to the door and looked at Lavender and almost sorrow look plastered on her face.

"your just a child too you know"