04. fan favorites

FAN FAVOURITES, chapter four

Cheers, cheers and even more cheers. The capitol was loud and luminate. She held tight onto Hunter's hand as they all applauded the tributes of the 68th hunger games. Lavender tried to blind out the shouts of her last name as it now had become a capitol name. 

She wanted to cry and scream at them for using her brothers name in vein.

but she couldn't.

because popularity meant sponsors.

And sponsors meant keeping Hunter alive. 

Instead she lifted her head, smiled and tried to have a good look at her fellow tributes. She didn't look at them before they went out, but she felt their eyes on her. 

She knew he would be here.

He was a victor now. 

She didn't even know if she could bare seeing him again. 

But she brought those thoughts to the back of her mind as she stared ahead, her eyes almost burning holes into the backs of the two district eights heads. 

The girl had long wavy hair and the boy was brunette and had short hair. 

They had a frilly aqua and blue costume on, just like they do every year and the girl seemed to have ripped the head piece off of her head and thrown it into the crowd with a scowl.

She seemed fun...

As the chariots came to a stop Lavender squinted her eyes to the top of the stand.

And there the president stood.

Snow. 

The so called 'leader' of it all. 

"Welcome tributes!" he declared into the microphone earning a loud cheer from the audience. 

"all he did was say hi?" Hunter whispered to Lavender causing her to smirk. 

"he is the most important man on earth to these people" she explained

"so he's like you to me?" Hunter asked innocently but the question made Lavenders heart stop beating. 

She was the most important person in the world to him.

And he was hers. 

A tear was brought to her eye, and for once she let it drop. 

She squeezed his hand even harder and placed a soft kiss onto his knuckles which earned a sweet 'aww' from the audience behind. 

The two sat, holding hands and suffered as they watched Snow's speech about their sacrifice and courage. 

Nothing about their trauma or their fate. 

"Happy Hunger games, and may the odd's be ever in your favor" 

The chariots started to move again after that. 

And they were joined back with their groups. 

"You two looked astonishing out there" Honor gasped as she brought the two in for a hug. Lavender accepted the hug but looked over her shoulder at the tributes. 

Some looked tough.

Some looked weak. 

And most were going to be dead in one month. 

"You did them good Vince" Dash smiled and patted Vince on the back. 

"Well I try"

Lavender smiled at Vince "thankyou" she said. 

"you are both welcome" he nodded his head at the two and suddenly stopped smiling when his eyes got caught to someone elses not in the group and shook his head. 

"what is it?-"

"It's nothing but, these outfits will get you allies and sponsors" Jules cut in, grabbing the girls face before she saw Dash go out the way. 

Confusion was practically written on Lavender's face. 

"wanna go back to your new bed?" Honor asked, happiness laced into her tone.

Lavender wondered if it was always like that. 

"let's go" 

Whilst the group started walking to the back Dash stayed behind and turned around.

"Finnick" he said, taking the boys attention.

"Dash I-"

"I don't want you going anywhere near her" he told the boy who shook his head "I just want to apologize" he explained.

"right before she goes into her own games, really?" Dash asked, sarcasm and anger dominant in his question. 

"I need closure Dash I-"

"And what she needs is a fighting chance to survive" 

Finnick stood still.

Dash shook his head "you two are the same age you know?" he breathed out in disbelief.

"I know you're still young kid and I know you've been through enough but just please let her be, if you want her forgiveness ── apologies to her in the games. 

Sponsors. 

Finnick knew what Dash meant he had his fair share of them in his games, they both did. 

They were fan favorites. 

They were bestfriends. 

But one had to come out alive.