VIII. HEADS & TAILS

Grabbing a hold of the back of Harry's robes almost immediately after McGonagall's order--he looked like he needed help, I dragged him over to the lining up students, shoving him behind a sandy-haired boy while Ron hopped into line behind me

After everyone was settled, McGonagall led us across the entrance, through the set of double doors, and into the Great Hall.

It was even more amazing than Bathilda Bagshot described it.

Lit by hundreds of thousands of floating candles and flanked by four tables lined with gold plates and goblets, one for each house, and a table at the top of the hall for the professors the Great Hall was très Magnifique. The ghosts from the chamber dotted the hall, glowing like the sparkling stars above. It was like there wasn't a roof at all--like the ceiling just opened up to the night sky.

It's enchanted, apparently--but damn if it didn't look bloody wicked.

I did my best not to focus on the hundreds of faces watching as we walked by, speculating on which of us would join their house, but couldn't help but notice Fred and George mouthing 'Gryffindor' at me.

Biting back a grin, I shot them a thumbs up.

They high-fived, looking incredibly proud of themselves, and I covered my mouth to muffle a quiet snort of laughter.

McGonagall brought us to a stop in front of the High Table.

Facing the house tables, it was harder to ignore all of the students staring up at us.

I had to stare down at my red "Dorothy" ballet flats, as I call 'em(fun fact, the ruby slippers were silver in the books--which I did not handle gracefully--"Dakota, the ruby slippers are a lie!"), just to avoid how hazy and overwhelmed I felt surrounded by so many people. The charged atmosphere only made it 10x worse. Not to mention how anxious those stares made me, my stomach twisting with nerves.

Behind my back, I continuously snapped the rubber bands on my wrists.

"It's bewitched to look like the night sky," I heard Hermione whisper, obviously talking about the enchanted ceiling. "I read about it in Hogwarts, A History."

I didn't look up until I saw McGonagall place a four-legged stool in front of us from the corner of my eye--and, on top of that?

A pointed witch's hat.

Well, whatever the hell this is, at least I got the hat part right. I'm just jinxing stuff into existence left and right, aren't I?

McGonagall gives out ice cream during tests.

--yep, that feels on point.

I feel good about this prediction.

...I wonder what kind of toppings we'll have?