XIX. DANCING PINEAPPLES

Voldemort

Voldemort.

That thing that was drinking the unicorn's blood, that thing that went after Harry when a centaur named Firenze showed up and saved him--was Voldemort.

The monster who killed my parents.

The monster living a cursed, half-life by drinking unicorn blood(which can keep you alive, even on the brink of death--but at a terrible price)to survive.

The monster that wanted to use the Philosopher's Stone to come back.

It was like all the pieces were finally starting to come together in my head.

Why my scar hurt whenever I was around Quirrell, and why it was so bad in the forest.

Why and who Quirrell wanted the Stone for.

Voldemort got to Quirrell at some point and, ever since the school year started, they've been connected somehow--which is why I feel that wrongness whenever I'm around him(and why I feel like I'm seeing double, and my head hurts, when I look at him; his mind is twisted with Voldemort's in some way, so it's like I'm reading one mind overlaid with another--and the other is half-dead and hopped up on unicorn blood, and evil, which explains a lot; the one thing I haven't been able to figure out is how, but I don't even know what I am so there's no way for me to really understand how my mind-reading works).

Voldemort must've promised Quirrell something, likely power(he might act all nervous and timid, and maybe he is to some extent--it's kind of hard to get a good grasp on his personality around Voldemort's winning one, but I've spent enough time around him to know that, while Voldemort is definitely using him, because duh, he's far from the innocent victim here; he's conniving, manipulative, greedy, pretty clearly dabbles in Dark magic, and he has his own motivations here that have nothing to do with Voldemort; he wants power, and recognition, and greatness, because--I guess he's sick of being looked down on by his peers and treated like he's useless; the thing is though, he is useless, and a naive idiot on top of that--and sure, that might sound harsh, but the idiot's trying to bring Voldemort back, so it's kinda warranted). In return, he's been trying to steal the Philosopher's Stone for him since, at least, July.

He must've been in Diagon Alley for that very reason, which would explain the weird vibes I picked up from him during our short conversation.

I know I should've gone straight to Professor Snape, but--why on earth would he believe me?

The whole story's insane, even by my standards.

How could I tell him about Voldemort, without explaining everything?

Besides, it was all I could do to put one foot in front of the other and survive exam week--especially knowing the truth, having to deal with seeing Quirrell every day at the High Table, and the stabbing pains I've been getting in my scar ever since the Forbidden Forest(even the subtle tingling feeling that gives me the heads up when Harry's nearby hurts a bit because of how sore my scar is, not that I minded--after what happened that night, it feels...comforting, on both sides, like it was reassuring us that the other was there and that we weren't alone, as corny as that sounds--).