6

I DREAMT OF THE WARM SUMMER SUN.

I dreamt of my body lounging on a day bed and soaking up the sunlight.

I dreamt of someone screaming. Someone wailing. The sound echoed through the rows of novels and the world started to blur.

I dreamt of Shaw holding August's body. Clinging his body to him in the arch way. Head ripped clean off. Blood drenching the floor.

I was the one screaming. I was the one wailing. My voice echoing around me, it sounded so strange. So foreign.

My throat burning from the volume of my cries.

This isn't real. This isn't real. This isn't real.

Hands. Hands grabbed my face and I jerked awake.

It was Sam's warm eyes that watched me. We were still lounging on the oval couch. It was dark outside now.

I tried to swallow through my dry throat as I frowned up at Sam, "How long has it been?"

Sam was still watching me with horror and concern covering his normally soft features. His dark eyes teary with fear, "You were screaming."

I blinked at the sudden sound of his voice, "What?"

"You were screaming" his fingers were digging into my arms, "You scared me."

I've never heard him speak more than a sentence at a time. I felt guilt ripple through me and my hands grabbed for his, "I'm sorry, it was just a nightmare."

"Not in the stacks" Sawyer strolled in with a lazy grin, "This is a child-friendly environment, you freaks."

No sign of the Oracle or Quinn. The Zetas were standing at the arch. Where Shaw was just holding August's dead body. Watching me with laser-sharp focus.

I was too shaken to glare. Too drowsy to notice the tightness in August's jaw. I opted for an eye roll, "Grow up."

Sawyer squeezed his way in between Sam and I, "So sorry, we took so long" a sigh leaving his lips as he stretching his legs.

My eyes caught August's, "What did take so long?"

"Oh, the fucking Forecaster couldn't decide what she wanted to see" Sawyer muttered, poking at Sam's ear. Sam growled at him in response and it only made Sawyer do it more.

Forecaster. I read in the books that they were Oracles born on a New Moon. They're the only type of Oracle that can see the future.

I opened my mouth to speak but August interrupted with a grunt, "It's time to go."

Sam got up instantly, leaving to scout the exit. Sawyer practically sighed, "If you insist" he stood and extended a hand to me.

Our brown eyes connected and I let him help me up from the couch. Sawyer held my hand until we were in the foyer and strangely, it wasn't as odd as it should have been. August walked down the stairs to the awaiting Etas. Quinn was in the car, the Oracle in the back seat and I went to let go of Sawyer's hand when he pulled me off to the side.

His eyes locked onto mine before he quickly glanced off his shoulder, "The Forecaster told me to tell you this."

I opened my mouth and closed it again. Not knowing what to say. My future on the top of the Soothsayer's tongue.

He held up his hand, stopping me from interrupting, "You should stay here tonight."

I frowned, "Is that what they told you?"

"I'm so lonely in this big house, stay over and we'll talk to the Forecaster, do facials or whatever you females do" He kept looking over her shoulder and I swear it was fear that swirled in his eyes.