21

Urith.
"Quinn!" my voice was frantic as I chased my mate through the Soothsayer's ugly halls, "Quinn, my dove please stop."

Her blonde curls swayed as she turned around, so fast that I almost ran into her, "How was I so stupid, Urie?"

It broke my heart to see those ocean eyes glassy and red-rimmed, her chest was frantically rising and falling. My hands instinctively grabbed hers, "Breathe," I begged, my hands reaching up to pull her hair from her face, "Take a breath."

I mimicked slow breathing and gestured for her to copy me, reluctantly she did.

Her delicate face crumpled before me, "He—he knew how—how much it affected me, and he—" the blonde brows on her porcelain skin drew together in red frustration, "He comforted me."

I wanted August to burn alive for this, for this devastation on my mate's face, for what he did to her all those years ago, and I felt that anger radiate through my blood, "He will pay for this Quinn."

Her eyes were a haunting cerulean blue as she wiped her tears away, "I asked Eden not to kill him."

I was taken aback, a frown heavy on my face, "Quinn—"

"It was before I knew what he did—"

"He killed Sam, my dove" I tried to not sound like I was irritated at her choice, "He's done a lot worse."

Her eyes fluttered into a glare, "He is my brother, my only family, and you said you understood that."

"I do," I said through a sigh, my arms wrapping around her sagged shoulders.

And I did.

I understood her attachment to him. He was her brother. In their haunting family, he was the only one who didn't resemble a ghost.

The disappointment ate away at her, I watched as I felt it eat away at me. August was our alpha. He was supposed to be on our side.

She didn't sleep that night.

I could hear her tossing and turning until I woke to the soft blue glow of the morning, Quinn's side of the bed was cold and empty.

Panic pulled me out of my drowsiness, my eyes frantic to cross the room to see the small sleeping form in the bassinet, and it calmed me the slightest.

The Phi was probably asleep at this hour, so I bundled the baby into a blanket, and held him to me as I led myself to where I knew Quinn wandered.

I held the baby closer as we headed further and further into the damp basement of Sawyer's obnoxious house.

My wolf sighed with relief the second we saw Quinn.

She was on her knees, her head on August's belly, and her shoulders were shaking with her cries.

They moved August to the thin metal bed on the adjacent wall, his hand rested in Quinn's hair and his eyes staring at the wet stone ceiling.

"Quinn," I softly begged her to look at me.

Her sapphire eyes burned as she glanced at me, rising her head as she did, and I watched with a frown as August's hand fell limp from her head.

Her eyes followed mine, and her lips wobbled as she lifted her small delicate hand.

Her porcelain skin drenched in dark sienna liquid.

Her thin strong fingers grasped a small sliver blade that was also dripping with the same deep colour.

That exact moment I saw the blood dripping from August's neck.

His opal eyes glassed over as they stared up at the wet stone ceiling.