Chapter 3

Elizabeth

After the first month, Mike has completely changed. He is no longer this menacing creature set on inflicting pain, but instead, he is a loving caring man.

After showing that I was willing to play nice, the chains went away and the old Mike, the one I fell in love with, seemed to come back to me. It made me sick, the day he started it, still does. What does it say about me that I prefer his cruel hand to his gentle caresses?

A persistent pounding at the front door breaks me from my musings. The first real emotion I've had in months surges through me... hope. If I can scream loud enough, or make enough noise then there is a chance that I could be rescued.

My hope dies a quick death as my door slams open. Mike, looking menacing, stands at the door with a gag and cuffs in his hands. "Play nice baby or I will have to punish you". He says cuffing at the same time caressing me, it makes my skin crawl, God! I loathe his touch...i quietly watch as tighten the cuffs on my hands, then leave closing the door ever so gently and with care smiling back at me before finally shutting the door, he is sick, how did i never see this side of him? Was I always blind?

I hear him unlock the door and another voice talking to me,I brace myself for an opportunity for freedom but my newly healed wrists ache as the cuffs bite into my skin. Wincing at the pain I wait as I hear the muffled voices get closer. It's now or never I think as I tip my chair over. Pain shoots through me as I land on my side.

Suddenly the door swings open and a surprised gasp follows closely behind the door slamming against the wall. Lifting my head, my eyes widen in disbelief. What the hell??Mom? I thrash against the cuffs hoping that she will understand that I'm not a willing party. If she does believe I'm a prisoner she doesn't show it, as she quietly closes the door.

After that day, her visits start to become more frequent. Each day she seems surprised to see me here . why would she willingly subject herself to this beast??

" But why do you need that fat cow if you have me?"I Flinch at the harsh words I hear through the door. I whimper as their fighting seems to become more heated. She always puts Mike in a bad mood when she questions him and when she leaves he takes his frustrations out on me.

This goes on for a month until one night I'm awoken with a hand over my mouth. Little do I know this was the day that would change the course of my destiny forever.

"Quiet " the voice hisses as I struggle against the weight pinning me down. "Shut up!" The voice I realize, is female and my mother.I look up at her alarmed and slowly nod my head.

When she is sure that I'm going to listen to her she releases me. "Mom ... What is happening? What are you doing here?"

Mike never lets her stay long after he uses her, I'm afraid of what he will do if he finds her here, "Come on honey... Here look I bought you clothes, mommy is going to get you out of here but we must hurry. "

I stiffly move as I put on the clothes. A muffled groan leaves me as I brush against a tender spot on my side. Cruel hands grab me, jerking me to my feet. " Hurry up princess " she sneers, Shaking her hands off me I hurriedly pull up my pants fighting the urge to blackout from the pain.

On shaky legs, I follow behind her as we creep toward the door. I would be lying if I say that what I have gone through and what I will experience in the future doesn't come close to the number of emotions coursing through me at the moment, nothing could compare to this moment.

Heart in my throat, I dare not breathe as we creep past Mike's door. Time seems to slow as we make our way to my mother's beat-up ford truck and drive off, tears flow freely on my cheeks, I know that no matter what comes next, that monster will never have his hands on me again, I will die before I let that happen.

I Wake up from a frightening dream in which Mike hunts and kills my mom, to an even more frightening reality. My mom is shaking, mumbling to herself almost hysterically. "Mom " I whisper "Mom? Are you alright" I speak in a slow tone as if I'm speaking to a child. When no response is forthcoming I grasp her arm, shaking her lightly. "Mom! Snap out of it!" As If Stung she jerks back staring at me with wide accusing eyes.

"YOU LITTLE SLUT!" she screams. " DID YOU THINK YOU COULD TAKE HIM FROM ME?!" ''M.mm mom calm down" I plead. "how can I calm down when you're trying to take away everything I love, first your father, now I wish I had killed you when I had a chance." I blanch at her words.

My mom was never the loving type, but she has never been this cruel. " Nothing to say you fat cow?! You know what get the fuck out of my car, "

Stunned I don't even realize the car has stopped. Staring straight ahead I'm frozen. " Are you fucking deaf?" she sneers opening her door she runs around to my side. Snatching the door open she roughly pulls me out, " Get the fuck out!" As my knees hit the pavement I flinch at the rough gravel digging into my skin. she sneers one more time tells me something I don't hear, gets into her car, and drives off without looking back.

Darkness surrounds me as my mother's beat-up ford headlights fade in the distance. Shock paralyzes me as I stare after her. Hoping that this is a cruel joke and she will realize that she abandoned me in the middle of nowhere and come back.

Hours pass as I wait for her headlights to reappear. I would have waited all night if I didn't get a sudden feeling of being watched. Standing on shaking legs I flinch as the blood rushes back into my legs. Wrapping my arms around myself I slowly turn around. My gaze moves frantically around the forest searching for a path to the main road. I walk the same way I saw my mom's car head, I follow the trail blindly until I happen upon a path that looks like a hiking trail, I follow it knowing that it will lead me to civilization faster.

The pathway is well hidden by the dense forest, it is out of sheer luck or desperation that I happen upon it considering the lack of light and my aches and pains. I look up and see a light in the distance, it looks like a house is up a hill and a long trek but that's where I'm heading My only hope lies at the top of that hill.