*Chapter 1*: A Stranger in Wonderland

Arc I: The World Down the Rabbit Hole

"When I was a little boy, I wanted to be a Hero. Not a salaryman...but a Hero who could send rotten villains like you flying with One Punch!" – Saitama, the Average Guy.

Chapter 1: A Stranger in (Not) Wonderland

9th Month of the Human Empire Calendar, 378. Rulid's Village Area, Under the Gigas Cedar...

Soft. That's how the earth under him felt.

Hard. Was how he perceived the wooden thing against which his head was.

Warm. Such was the feeling that the sun shining down on his face gave.

The moment his mind became fully aware of those sensations, the boy's eyes weakly fluttered open, taking on the sight of the sun softly rising on the horizon and the massive black 'thing' against which he was resting. With a tired grumble, he closed his eyes and shifted to the side, trying to protect his face from the light.

Then, his brain finished rebooting and he shot to his feet, the gamer's eyes snapping open as he let out a scream of horror and grabbed the back of his hand, gasping for breath as if he had been drowning.

It took several seconds before the black-haired boy realized he, in fact, wasn't dying, and then a couple more of shocked ones looking around him before he finally spoke.

"What...the hell...? Where am I? What...what happened? I..."

Grunting, the gamer grabbed his head, concentrating in remembering what had led him to be...wherever he was.

He remembered Sugu and Asuna walking with him after the group's 'party' in the Dicey Café.

He remembered opening up to them, sharing his worries.

...he remembered Kanamoto Atsuchi. Johnny Black. His pathetic attempt to attack them. And then...

The thing. The monster. Xaxa.

He had tried to drive it off, buy the girls time to escape while the abomination followed him, and...and...

Blank. His memories suddenly cut off there, as if someone had let a dark curtain fall over them. Any attempts to recall anything beyond that point only gave him unconnected flashes and sounds, voices he couldn't recognize saying things he couldn't make sense of...

Once again, the boy's train of thought was stopped when he rested against 'the black thing' behind him, making him blink and fully turn around, as if finally acknowledging its presence.

"That's...one big ass tree." Kirito commented dryly, staring at the biggest tree had ever seen (He really didn't count ALO's Yggdrasil because that thing barely looked like a tree at all). Its color was that of a black darker than the night sky, from its massive roots to its far-away leaves. "Size of a building, thicker than a small car...yeah, pretty sure there is nothing like this in Japan. Not in the world for that matter, at least not with this color, which means..."

Letting out a sigh half of relief and half of resignation, the gamer took on the forest clearing around him with critical eyes.

Somehow, he had ended up inside a virtual world after falling unconscious, however that had happened. Not the most reassuring thought, but not the worst either, compared to having actually been kidnapped and taken to a forest somewhere he didn't know. Shaking his head at the dark thoughts and deciding he would get to the bottom of things after Logging Out, the boy raised his hand in the usual motion to bring forth his menu, universal in all current VRMMOs...