Chapter 2: The Living Dead

9th Month of the Human Empire Calendar, 378. Rulid's Village, Just outside the Church...

Disaster Levels. Such a simple yet terrifying concept to measure untold destruction.

Of course, while no one getting into the series known as 'One Punch-Man' for the first time would think such a thing, those who were long-time fans of it or had at least bothered doing deeper research, would realize how truly scary and catastrophic things were in there.

For starters, OPM took place in a different world from normal Earth, which had only one massive supercontinent (Not unlike the ancient Pangea), which was divided on the so-called 'cities' labeled from A to Z.

That should be more than enough to put things in perspective, at least for anyone with enough awareness of what it meant: This made even the smallest of the so-called 'cities' of One Punch-Man's world to be the size of a small country.

Disaster Levels Wolf and even Tiger could perhaps be 'disregarded', in a sense. Sure, they were still dangerous, especially the latter, but even the worst-case scenario of it was something still within the scope that the average 'Heroes' could handle. Something that, in the real world, would still be possible to manage for actual human forces, be it police or maybe even the military, with relative collateral damage.

Then, came Disaster Level-Demon. Textually explained as 'A threat endangering a whole city or its infrastructure'.

It didn't sound too bad until, once again, one realized the 'cities' they were talking about were, in fact, the size of an average real-world country. Meaning, a 'Demon' had enough power to, in the best case scenario, render an entire country unable to sustain itself, and of totally obliterating it at worst (Time taken for such a thing to happen depending on the threat, of course).

A Disaster Level-Dragon could do the same but on a scale comparable to doing it to an area around the size China or the United States in the real world.

Kirito was no expert on measuring things by eye, nor had he had time to ask around how big Rulid Village was, but he was sure as hell that it wasn't even remotely near the size of a small country. In fact, he doubted even the whole 'Human World' had enough land to fully qualify as that, or barely.

And a beast able to cause destruction on such a scale was now heading straight for the small and, compared to one of its original setting, very primitive settlement.

...we're not going to make it...

"By the Goddesses!"

"Wha-what is that?!"

"Bwaaaaah...!"

"So-someone sound an alarm, we need to...!"

"TAKE COVER!" screamed Kirito from where he was standing before the church, Selka's gaze snapping back to him from where it had been glued to the incoming black abomination. "FIND A PLACE TO HIDE!"

It's useless, that thing's beak can easily break through skyscraper's walls...these houses aren't going to stop it...

"Ki-Kirito, what...?!"

"Selka, there is no time! Is there a basement on the church?! If so, I need you to try and get everyone around down there! That thing is...!"

"Ki-Kirito, the children!" interrupted the young apprentice as the massive form of Giant Crow drew closer.

The black-haired boy froze, his mind screeching to a halt.

The children. The ones that had just had breakfast with them...the ones who just ran out to play in the village.