Chapter 16: Sounds Crazy To Me

After Deshia came clean about her past, I decided to take her to a place my mind continually relapsed on

An hour into our trip I figured it wouldn't hurt to stop for gas. Insisting that she should stay in the car, her pride took over and I loaned her my card so she could pay for gas.

Telling her I'd be back, I headed into the store skimming along the aisles for something to snack on.

Coming across the items Deshia asked for, I found something suitable enough for my cravings and headed back to the front.

Looking up from the register, my eyes connected with Deshia speaking to someone on the opposite side of the pump. Watching as he handed her something, she slipped it into her back pocket looking in the direction of the store.

"Sir?" I jumped facing forward. "You ready to pay or what?" The cashier smacked and I realized the customers before me had already left.

"Yeah." I shook off looking back in the direction of the pumps. Not seeing the car on the opposite side anymore, I refocused pulling out a few bills to pay for the items.

"Would you like a receipt?" The clerk extended.

"Nah, preciate it." I answered grabbing the bag and heading for the door.

Hearing the bell ring as I exited, I looked towards my vehicle seeing Deshia sitting back in the car. Tapping away at her phone, I got in handing over the bag.

"Thanks." She began to rummage through finding the lemonade she'd asked for. Still keeping my focus on her to grab her attention, she looked back up. "What?" She reached for her back pocket handing over my card. Without moving an inch and my expression remaining the same her eyes bucked. "What negro?"

"Ion know. You tell me?" My brow went up insinuating not to stall.

With a huff, she threw back some of her lemonade. "They're tracking me."

"All the way out here?"

"Hell yeah, gotta make sure my ass ain't running." Her voice began to echo. "Bad enough they're catching me with you." She added.

"What you don't wanna be seen with me now?" I said with an attitude as I put on my seatbelt.

"You know that's not what I meant." She rolled her eyes.

"I saw him give you something. What was it?" I began to put the car in drive.

"Information." She said as I merged into the open road again.