Chapter 1 - Wake Up!

A rectangular alarm clock displayed a red number ‘7:29’ on its screen. A few seconds later, the digits shifted to ‘7:30’, which caused the device to buzz. It continued to make noise, which caused someone to drowsily reach out an orange fuzzy hand to slap the nightstand in which the clock was placed on top of, while the figure in the bed groggily complained about a “Stupid clock”. The hand then pushed the small buttons on top of the device, which did not seem to quiet the clock. Then, the hand yanked at the cable that the clock was attached to, detaching it from the wall, which silenced the device and shut it down, not displaying any red numbers. Then, another device on the nightstand made noise. It sounded like the crowing of a rooster, which woke the figure up. As he rose out of the bed, he put on his round glasses. He then lifted himself out of the bed to grab the cellphone. As the phone was being touched, the screen turned on, revealing a text message. The message said:

Dear Geronimo, my birthday is only a little more than a week from now! I would really like my grandson to give me the gift of a new Kingdom of Fantasy novel :)  --- Your Grandfather

“UUUUGH!” Geronimo complained, walking out of the bed. “Fine.”

He looked at himself in the mirror, and noticed his shaggy hair. He grabbed his personal favorite hairbrush and stroked the orange tuft of hair on his head, then reached into his closet to swap his white pajamas for his usual green suit and red tie. After he changed his clothes, he walked into the restroom to do his daily business of using the toilet, washing his face, and cleaning his mouth with the minty mouthwash on the sink. After he left the restroom, he stepped down the stairs to see his sister Thea and his aunt Sweetfur, along with their friends Trap, Benjamin, and Pandora.

“Hey, cousin Gerry!” Trap greeted, “Aren’t you excited that it’s almost your grandfather’s birthday?”

“Of course I am.” Geronimo politely responded, forcing a fake smile.

“Your aunt Sweetfur and Thea are going to an antique shop to give him a present. I haven’t decided what to give him yet, but at least Thea and I made breakfast.”

Trap, the fat mouse, scooped some scrambled eggs onto a plate, then sprinkled it with shredded cheddar cheese. The scent of the melting cheddar filled the kitchen, making Geronimo feel hungry. Geronimo then reached for the plate that Trap offered him and sat at the table.

Psssst. Geronimo,” Thea whispered to him from across the table, “Aunt Petunia and I found this antique shop filled with all kinds of treasures. You can go with us if you find something interesting to give to Grandfather William.”

“Oh! Yes… Of c-course!” Geronimo answered sheepishly. The mouse then gobbled his cheesy food as quickly, yet as politely, as he could, then he went off to the restroom to brush his teeth. A few minutes later, Thea finished her food and went to her room to put on a purple jacket. Geronimo left the bathroom to allow Thea to do her cleaning business, while he went to his closet to grab one of his jackets. Meanwhile, Sweetfur and the other mice watched the weather program on a small television.

“Today will be cold and snowing,” the reporter from the television announced. “And I’m afraid that the weather will stay like this for at least a week! You guys better bring coats and jackets outside.”

As Thea and Geronimo walked downstairs with their jackets on, this showed Sweetfur that they were ready to leave for their trip to the shop. Sweetfur gently lifted herself from the table after thanking Trap and Thea for making breakfast and hurried her way to the restroom. It felt like a ten-minute wait, but actually only lasted half of the time expected. She then walked downstairs with a brown leathery purse, reaching one of her hands into a bag to grab the keys for the door. Geronimo and Thea were ready to go with their aunt, and she opened the door. Before the mice left the house, they said their goodbyes to their friends. Geronimo, Thea, and Sweetfur looked towards the door.

“Ladies first.” Geronimo kindly said, guiding Sweetfur and Thea outside the house. He then gently closed the door, leaving aunt Sweetfur to lock the door from outside the house. As the door was closed, Geronimo observed the sidewalk and the street. The air felt like the Arctic, and fresh snow fluttered down the cloudy grey sky like soft white cotton balls made of ice. It was like a winter wonderland, with clean white mounds of snow on the sidewalk. Across the street, Geronimo could hear whistling. He looked toward the street, and he saw a traffic cop with a blue hat and jacket, providing instructions for the mice driving their cars on the slippery ice-covered asphalt. Aunt Sweetfur and Thea were walking towards their car, while Geronimo was absent-mindedly staring into the snow-covered city. Thea called Geronimo, which snapped him out of his distraction, and caused him to run to the car. Sweetfur pushed some buttons on her car keys to open the doors, then she took the driver’s seat. One button turned on the car’s heater, which turned the interior of the vehicle from ice-cold to lukewarm. Geronimo sat on the passenger seat while Thea felt content with sitting in the back of the car. As Sweetfur inserted the key to the empty slot, the vehicle grumbled and slightly vibrated before speeding its way to their destination, the old antique shop at the other side of the town. As the old car was moving, Geronimo stared into the window closest to him, observing the trees, signs, and other vehicles and pedestrians that Sweetfur’s car came across. However, the view outside was fogged by the cold weather and snow that drifted from the sky. This easily left Geronimo bored, wondering how to begin his expected journey in the Kingdom of Fantasy, if it were to happen.