Chapter 3

I jumped as someone pounded on my apartment door. Morning light filtered through my big windows facing the sunrise. At some point yesterday, I'd made myself comfortable on the couch to watch a movie and must have fallen asleep.

Another pound on the door nearly reset my heart. Thankfully, I knew that there was only one person who'd pound so persistently with absolutely no fear of disturbing the neighbors. She wouldn't stop either.

"Okay!" I pushed the blanket off my legs and scrambled off the couch. "I'm coming, Mia!"

My fiery best friend slowed her pounding until I opened the door. Her green eyes sparkled as she burst into my apartment, her cheeks flushed.

"Good morning to you too," I laughed, closing the door behind her. "To what do I owe this honor?"

Mia hopped onto my kitchen counter with a squeak. "You met Kent Davids!"

My jaw dropped. "Wha... How did you...?"

"I saw him in the background of your playground photos and pieced it together with your story about the jerk who demanded to see your camera," she explained. "It all made sense."

I shuffled past her towards the coffee pot, which I'd managed to prep and program the night before. Thank heavens for technology. This was going to be a long grilling session, and I'd need all the caffeine power I could get. "What do you want to know, Mia?"

"...only the juiciest news," she giggled. "When are you going to see him again?"

"I'm not," I shot her down, pouring my coffee. "I told him off and walked away. That's all there is to it."

"What!?!" Mia swiveled on the counter towards me. "You walked away from Kent Davids? Why?"

I took a slurp of coffee with raised eyebrows. "Two words: Madison Bartell."

My devoted friend withered before my eyes. She knew exactly how much my alter ego played into my life, especially when it came to any potential 'targets' for Madison's sneaky camera. If there was even the slightest chance that Madison would be their paparazzi stalker, Ally couldn't get involved; and vice versa. Sometimes that really sucked; sometimes it saved me from mistakes.

"Wait..." Mia cocked her head. "Are you going to go after Kent as a project? Did the company assign him to you?"

"Not yet," I drawled, "but they probably will if they catch wind that he's here, which is why I need to keep a distance."

Mia pouted at me. "Is there a chance that Madison or Ally could possibly date him? I mean, Kent is gorgeous."

I took my coffee cup into the spacious living room. Being Madison had its perks, like a salary that allowed me to upgrade my living conditions. My two-bedroom apartment testified to Madison's comfort and Ally's style. The white walls with colorful photos, the marble counters and stainless-steel kitchen, the pastel colors in the bedrooms and bathrooms... For me, it was the perfect blend of everything. My white suede couches saw many late-night editing sessions, movie nights with Mia, and battles with myself over assignments. The woven rug covering my hardwood floor hadn't been worn through yet from constant pacing.

All in all, the double life wasn't that bad. It was the relationships that made everything messy. Who knew Ally? Who knew Madison? Who knew both? Keeping that straight kept me up at night.

A gentle knock on the door echoed through the apartment. Mia and I stared at each other, silently asking who the other had invited. When neither of us had an answer, I shuffled to the door with coffee cup in hand. Thankfully, Mia kept her butt planted on my counter. Having her hover behind me like a curious child never went well with visitors.