Chapter 11

"You're not talking."

I turned away from the car window to face my boyfriend. "Does it bother you?"

He glanced at me for a second before focusing on the road ahead. Trees slowly gave way to buildings as we drove towards the heart of the city. I could see some of the high rises on the horizon. We'd be there sooner than I wanted.

"It doesn't bother me, but it makes me worry a little," he answered. "You've only gone completely silent a couple times before, and it usually means you're troubled about something."

I rested my temped against the leather headrest. "You've only been dating me for a few weeks and you've figured that out already?"

He shot me a smile and reached over to run his index knuckle down the bridge of my nose. "I wouldn't be a very good boyfriend if I didn't pick up on a few things."

I smiled back and slid my hand into his. "You're a good boyfriend, whether you learn all my cues or not."

He squeezed my hand. "So? What are you troubled about? What is stewing in that quiet brain of yours?"

"Trust me. My brain is far from quiet," I sighed. "I'm just trying to figure out how to keep my job but still protect you."

"You don't have to protect me, you know. I can handle the press and the media. You don't need to be my shield and get pommeled."

"I know that. I also know that I have the power to protect you at least a little."

"I love that you want to protect me," he said, lifting out hands and pressing his lips to the back of my hand. "I don't want you to sacrifice yourself in the process."

"I won't," I promised. "Selling my soul is not the same as sacrificing myself. Don't worry: you're not so special that I'm willing to throw my life away for you."

He pushed his bottom lip out in a mock pout. "Ouch. I'm hurt."

"You're a big boy. You can handle it," I chided him.

He kissed the back of my hand again and grinned. "As long as it's you, I can handle anything."

I rolled my eyes and stared out the windshield. Mia should have been in and out of my apartment by now. She was most likely scurrying down the street to get in position near the office building where Kent was meeting his manager. She'd have a brief window to snap a couple photos, so hopefully she'd be ready when he pulled up.

How had I become so calloused as to recruit my best friend to help me betray my boyfriend? On the other hand, a few sidewalk photos of someone walking into a public building is hardly a deep betrayal. Anyone with a cellphone could take a similar picture. I wasn't compromising his private life.

"You've gone quiet again."

I shook my head and pulled myself back to the present. "Sorry. What would you like me to chatter or jabber about?"

"I don't need you to chatter or jabber if it's not how you're feeling," he answered, tightening his hold on my hand. "You can process in whatever way you need. I just selfishly don't like feeling like I'm on the outside of your thoughts."

"You're not on the outside," I assured him. "You are very much in the center of my thoughts. I'm just trying to sort through all of my thoughts. I'm not trying to push you out. I don't know how to let you in when it involves you."

"You'll figure it out, Ally. I believe in you."

I squeezed his hand and sighed. "I'm glad you believe in me."

Neither of us spoke the rest of the drive into the city. When he pulled up to the curb of the corporate building, we took a minute to smile at each other and put on our sunglasses before exiting the car. The valet was already sweeping around the front end of the car by the time I stepped out. A few pedestrians looked our way but none seemed to care who we were.