Chapter 18

I stared at the list of sent emails to Max, my stomach knotting at the sight of the little paperclip symbol included with each one. Each email was another secret correspondence behind Kent's back. Each paperclip was an undisclosed betrayal of his trust. So many steps had been taken down this dark path that I wasn't entirely certain I could see a light on either end.

"You haven't sent anything that he wouldn't approve of," I argued to myself. "All of these photos are perfectly acceptable. You've been mindful of Kent every step of the way."

Always the dark side of my arguments, Madison started voicing her side of things.

There's always more than you can send to Max to keep him happy. If you lose this job, you probably won't be able to afford this schmancy apartment. Are you really ready to give up the lifestyle we've had for the past couple years... just for a guy?

I shoved her into the farthest corner of my mind. The main things I liked about my apartment were the proximity to the park and the security of the building. Of course, I needed the security in case someone figured out my second identity and wanted to come after me. I wouldn't need the extra security if I didn't have the job, and I could walk to the park from multiple places in the city. Madison's argument that I needed to keep my job in order to keep the apartment was weak at best. I didn't need the apartment, so losing the job wouldn't be the end of the world. However, looking for a new place to live wouldn't be the worst idea.

I grabbed my phone and clicked through several screens until I was on a local realtor website. After entering a few criteria into the preferences, I saved a couple cute little places that looked promising. This wouldn't just be my 'next step' home, but more like my 'for quite a few years home.' The more I thought about it, the more I started liking the idea.

I shot off a text to Kent and rushed into the bathroom to get ready. Knowing him, he'd be at my door in 20 minutes now that I'd asked. Since we weren't really going out in public, I wouldn't bother dolling myself up too much. Looking presentable and a touch cute would suffice for a drive around the outskirts of the city. He wouldn't know the real reason why, and he wouldn't ask. Maybe someday I would thank him for being my realtor-chauffer.

Despite this newest development of a future plan, the moral debate between my two selves continued as I washed my face. What if Kent asked why I was suddenly noticing houses for sale? Would a surface-level answer like "thinking about getting out of the city" be enough? Would he think I was looking for a place for us? What if I needed to explain that it was just a place for me? How would I explain that? The rabbit trail would form so fast I could easily find myself in a serious conundrum if I wasn't careful about what I said.

"You need to stop overthinking this, Ally," I muttered through my towel as I patted my face dry. "A drive in the country will be a pleasant change of a date. He probably won't think any more of it than that: it's a change of scenery and activity. Just don't make it obvious that you're directing to specific locations."

By the time Kent's familiar knock echoed through my apartment, I'd managed to calm myself into a reasonable state. As long as I didn't say certain things, I would be fine. He wouldn't know the secret meaning or motive of today's date.

"Well good morning!" he chirped when I opened the door. He stepped inside and closed the door while I shrugged into my coat. "I was pleasantly surprised to get your text. Now that it's getting a bit colder out, I was actually thinking about taking you out for a drive anyway. We are incredibly in tune with each other."

"Imagine that," I teased. "We actually had the same idea."

He ducked his head and planted a 3-second kiss on my mouth. "Tease all you want. It's nice to be in tune with you."

I nudged him toward the door. "Yeah, sure. Let's go."

We scurried out of my building and into his car. While we still hurried in case any tabloids were lingering around, but we'd gotten fairly comfortable with the eight feet between the building and his car. Once inside the tinted haven, we could smile and enjoy being together.

"You said you wanted to head east of the city, right?"

I nodded. "I hear there's some cute little neighborhoods that feel totally removed from the city. Sounds like a fun getaway for a couple hours."

He grinned and put the car into reverse. "I love it. Let's go."