Chapter 13

"Remind me what we're doing again?" Kent leaned against the wall while I shrugged into my coat.

After sneaking around town for several dates, I'd decided that it was time to just have a nice outing as a couple. We were going to the park where we'd originally run into each other, and hopefully we could enjoy a cup of coffee near the playground before too many people spotted us. Once we were spotted, it would be a matter of time before we were flocked by fans with cell phone cameras.

"We are going on a date," I quipped back. "It's something we've done before."

"Yes, but this one feels different."

I buttoned my coat and stuffed my hands into the pockets. "I just want to spend time with you. Is there something wrong with that?"

He stepped close enough to be able to stuff his hands into my pockets as well as mine. After wiggling his fingers between mine, he gave me a big smile. "There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. I love that you just want to spend time with me."

"Shall we go, then?" I pulled our hands out of my pockets and sidestepped towards the door. Kent released one of my hands to reach for the door, so I used my free hand to reach for my camera. My stretched posture caught his attention, so he turned to see what I was doing.

"Aw, no..." he groaned. "You're bringing your camera."

I pouted but still slung my camera over my shoulder. "I can't help myself. Please... don't be mad at me."

He rolled his eyes and leaned forward to press a kiss to the tip of my nose. "Fine, but I get to proof any photos that you want to post online."

"Deal," I squealed.

We scurried out the door, pausing long enough to lock it behind us. Even though it was Saturday, the hallway was empty of neighbors. Thankfully, it gave us the chance to sneak out of the building without raising much notice. We reached the street and took off towards the park, Kent tucking my hand into the bend of his arm.

Leaves skittered down the sidewalk and swirled around our feet, crunching as we stepped on them. The breeze was just chilly enough to make my cheeks tingle and the tip of my nose twitch. I already had a bunch of ideas for photos utilizing the beautiful colors. If Kent was still around, I could even orchestrate a whole fall album of photos.

The thought made me falter a little. Actors only hung at home until they booked their next movie, and he'd been at home for a while. It was only a matter of time before he booked another movie and left. There'd be no stopping him or any guarantee that we'd survive through the time apart. Besides, with him being immersed in the Hollywood lifestyle again, there was the risk that he'd turn back into Actor Kent. I didn't know if I wanted that version of him.

"Hey." Kent tugged on my arm as we walked. "Are you okay?"

I blinked out of my stupor and forced a smile. "Yeah, I'm fine. I just started thinking too much about things. We are on a date, and I'm not going to let my doom attitude drag it down."

He cocked his head for a second, probably not accepting my brush-off answer. But after a second, he shook it off and tugged me closer to him. "Where are we going?"

I pulled us around the corner through the park gates. "I thought it would be fun to go back to the place where it all started for us."

"The park..." Kent grinned and steered us towards the playground. "I love it. If we're going to do this, I insist that you take some photos of me by the slide. After all, me at the slide was how I thought it all started. Am I right?"

I giggled at how his memory worked. "You are absolutely right. I think it's time that we get you a playground slide photo."

He let go of my arm and darted off towards the slide. I watched him for a moment, absently fingering my camera. This date was off to a good start. Hopefully it would last for the rest of the day. I could ward off any more doomsday thoughts if we kept having memories like this one.