VI

I forgive all my friends who left me alone
I forgive the wall that it had so many stones
I forgive the lord that he never sent a priest
I forgive the hangman
I forgive the beast
-Alphaville-

-Y/N-

5 days gone in the cell.

But time was difficult here. I got 3 meals a day and for the split second that the door opened, I could judge by the light outside and guess what time it was. They led me, chained and shackled, to the bathroom whenever I needed it. They had never checked my belongings, and they didn't know I had a small knife within my clothes. But despite my attempts, there was no way to get out of here. Perhaps that's why they never checked; they knew it was useless any ways.

10 days gone.

170 days until my freedom.

And Kaz Brekker's death.

I kept the countdown in my head. He thought he could trick me and fool me and use me long enough to let me go. I didn't know whether Inej and Jesper had been in on the plan. And honestly, I didn't want to know. The truth could hurt me, and so I believed my ignorance was bliss.

20 days gone

My thoughts thrived in the depths of this darkness, for these lonely hours gave me time to reflect on the poor and short life I had lived so far. It also made me realize that there were few people that I truly missed.

Inej was one of them.

But surprisingly so was Jesper.

The two weeks that I had spent at the Crow Club had been the most liberating two weeks I had spent ever. I just wanted to see their faces again. I didn't care if it was in a painted picture. I wanted to see Inej's warm brown eyes. I wanted to see Jesper's crooked smile.

30 days gone.

I would even settle for Kaz's glare at this point.

I just wanted some indication that there was life beyond these walls. I had thought about using my own knife against me and ending my misery rather than spending another second here. But my blade had someone else's name written on it. And revenge was worth the wait.

Apparently, I didn't have to wait that long.

As I sat with my back against the wall on my 33rd day, the doors opened, and light filtered in. I expected it was dinner, but the sun was a deep hue outside. It was too early to eat dinner.

"Today's your lucky day." Morgan's high-pitched voice cracked through the air. I hadn't heard it in so long. He seemed to be with someone... no... he seemed to be dragging someone along. I heard the creak of the gate, and someone fell to the ground beside me, grunting with impact. "I got you two gifts, one... this light..." I saw Morgan light up a lantern. The soft glow illuminated the cell. As the light fell across the room, I glanced down at the person now trying to sit up beside me.

"Two... a new friend." Morgan finished as I recognized who it was.

Kaz Brekker.

"Now you two get yourself acquainted. He's here for a whole year, so you'll be leaving before him. Dinner will be in shortly." Morgan smiled, closing the door behind him, and leaving. Under the light of the lantern, Kaz's face looked rugged. His eyes bloodshot and a deep cut down his cheek. He was sweating and looked extremely tired. I would've felt guilty for him in this situation.

If he hadn't been the one to put me in it first.

I was quick to pull out my knife.

"Y/N wait!" He put his hands up in front of his face. I didn't wait. My vision was red with anger as I launched forward. He blocked my attacks but then I felt my knife slide across his forearm.