XIX

There's just no rhyme or reason
Only the sense of completion
And in your eyes
I see the missing pieces I'm searching for
I think I've found my way home
I know that it might sound
More than a little crazy but I believe
I knew I loved you before I met you
I think I dreamed you into life
I knew I loved you before I met you
I have been waiting all my life
-Savage Garden-

-Y/N-

My eyes slowly opened as I blinked away my unconsciousness. I didn't know where I was, it seemed to me like I was moving. But I wasn't in a carriage, my head was laying on something. I could hear a heartbeat.

"Y/N?" Kaz voice reverberated in my head. "Are you conscious?" He asked.

"Yeah but..." That's when I realized the ashy firewood fragrance and noticed that Kaz was a lot closer than I had assumed.

He was carrying me.

"Kaz what are you doing, put me down." My speech was slurred. He stopped and looked down at me. From this close, his gaze was even more glaring. But there was a softness in them right now.

"You're in no shape to walk on your own." He whispered.

"Neither are you... You can barely support your own weight without your cane and now you have to hold me too. I can walk." I assured him. He hesitated but then slowly let me down.

The instant my feet hit the ground, the pain in my shoulder shot up, my head became lighter, and stars glimmered in my vision. I tried to take a step, but I didn't even realize when my own legs couldn't support me and I leaned on Kaz again, my head resting on his chest.

"I told you." He brushed a strand off my face. It didn't even seem like Kaz right now. He was acting so... kind? Thoughtful? Caring? I half expected it to be an imposter. But I was in no position to fight anyone right now, so I had to play along. "The wound you got on your shoulder lost too much blood. If you move around, you'll only lose more." He grunted, hoisting me up again. I didn't complain this time.

I felt bad for being a literal burden, but as we turned the corner, I heard water trickling. That meant we were at the fountain. I looked around and saw Jesper and Inej standing by a wall. Kaz walked over to them and as we neared, their eyes widened.

"Y/N!" Inej gasped, walking over.

"What happened?" Jesper asked. Kaz put me down and I leaned on the wall.

"The Inferni, she's dead." I claimed.

Jesper took a hold of my arm, stabilizing me. "Well, you can't manage a horse. Not even riding double. We'll have to come up with another plan." He said, looking over at Kaz. 

"Saints." Inej whispered, taking a peek at my wound.

"That's a pretty nice ride." Jesper pointed over at the carriage parked. It seemed to be from the palace. In fact... it was the same one that the General had come in, although he was nowhere around.

"Yes, indeed it is." Kaz muttered.

"I'll take her, you get the carriage." Inej motioned to Jesper. Jesper helped me lean off from him and over to Inej. I laid my head on her shoulder as I watched Jesper and Kaz walk over. Jesper opened the door from one side. I saw the person inside throw something at him...maybe a book? The person then scrambled to get out from the other side where Kaz was waiting. Kaz struck him with his cane, and he fell unconscious.

"All clear." Jesper called us over.

"Can you walk?" Inej asked as I stumbled off the wall.

"Not well but I think I can make it to the carriage." I told her. I put my arm around her shoulders as she put one on my waist. I stumbled with the help of Inej all the way to the carriage. From there, Kaz helped me board inside. I settled myself in the corner near the window. Kaz sat right across. Inej joined Jesper in the front outside the carriage to handle the horses.