9- Like Clark Kent and Superman

Turns out, she wasn't making a big deal out of it. As Ella, or better yet, Donny, locked the door  — turning the key twice, because why not  —  I surveyed my surroundings. Taking few steps, I came across a dining table. Or what looked to be one, under the mountain of clutter that lay on it. There were multiple objects sprawled everywhere and I couldn't decipher what any of them were. I picked one and studied it, not having any success in finding out what a blue, child-like knife, apparently made of plastic, could be. Gazing at the table again, I saw multiple white buckets. Not to mention pieces of something that looked like play-dough scattered all over.

These people are starting to freak me out.

"That's a modeling tool," Donny told me before taking the thing from my hand and placing it in a cup full of others of those. "See, I told you it was messy." She laughed nervously.

The chairs around the table weren't in their places either. Back to the table, there were pots containing a type of... I think chocolate mixture? Turning around, I saw boxes on the couch. Even the armchairs had ribbons hanging on them. Okay...

I turned back to her, "So, what do your parents do again?"

I heard baguette-man laugh from the couch. "Why did you invite him in today, honey? The boy's gonna send us to a decluttering tv show."

"Well, I..."

"She didn't, actually." I interrupted her, "I should have let her know that I was coming. My bad." I said both to her and to her dad.

"August? Is there someone here?" I heard a woman ask from further inside the house.

"Yeah. A friend of Donny's. They have an assignment together or something." The dad said walking in the direction of the voice and disappeared into a room. I heard a door click, but still could hear what they said.

"Friend?" The woman asked. She spoke rather loud. "Oh, it's a boy? Right, she told me about that project. She kept complaining about having to work with the prettiest boy in school. Most popular, hot, tall, etcetera, etcetera. Is he all that?"

"Um, let's go to my room? It's less messy there." A flush-faced Donny suggested and quickly lead the way with me laughing behind her.

We walked in the same hallway her dad had. There were three doors in it. We stopped in front of one with a paper sign saying "DONNY" written in dark blue and green 3D letters. Before entering, I heard voices from the room next door again.

"Prettiest in school? Eh, he's okay."

Donny opened the door and rushed me in as I laughed harder. Coming here was definitely better than staying home.

"Sorry about that. We have thin walls around here. Or my parents speak too loud. I'm still not sure." Donny said while getting her school bag and taking out the books we needed.

She looked really disconcerted. Poor thing. I didn't understand why she felt like she owed me any explanation; I was having a blast.

"Chill, it's alright," I reassured her and sat on one of the two beds, assuming she had a sibling. After a quick examination, I resolved that she was right, the room wasn't so messy. Looking around, I could see a few shoes scattered on the floor and folded clothes on a writing desk. The white walls were simple, apart from three paper paintings hung on them. Each one had her name signed at the bottom. Hm.

"Your dad seems nice. His name's August?" I asked, trying to break the ice.

"Yeah. And yes, he really is." She answered with a small smile, not fully looking at my face.

"And that other voice, is she your mom?"

"Mhm." She paused and took a brief glance at me, who was waiting for her to continue, "her name is Elizabeth if you wanted to know."