Forgotten Past

Twenty years ago, in the small village of Chatterstone near London. They pulled up around the back of the house in a white van and sat observing the house for a few minutes before they quickly decided the house was empty. They knew who owned the home, since the man who owned it was a rich banker who had recently closed the company, they both worked for. They wouldn't have normally considered robbery, but the two men had read the banker recently received a massive bonus from his bank and it was printed in a newspaper. So, after a couple of beers one night the two friends decided they would get the money they were robbed of when their company was closed by taking it from the man, they saw responsible. It didn't take them long to find the banker lived in Chatterstone and after watching his house for a month they made their plans. They picked a day when they knew he and his family would be out until late since for the past month they always spent the Saturday together and didn't return until late. So, the men put their money together and rented a van and drove to Chatterstone to rob the home.

Neither man had broken into anywhere before, but they were quick to notice the house had no bugler alarm and if they broke in through the back, they were less likely to be discovered. With a large gym bag each, they quietly climbed over the high fence and landed roughly on the grass below. It was dark and the men could hardly see where they were going but made it over to some glass sliding doors. The taller of the two tried the door, not surprised to find it was locked. Between them, with a crowbar, they managed to force the door open and slipped inside. The house was warm compared to the cold air outside. The shorter man pulled out two torches from his bag and passed one to his friend. With the beams of light scanning the rooms they looked for things to steal, searching through draws and cupboards. In one cupboard they found a collection of old wines and whiskeys. They both knew little about wine or Whiskey but with the age of bottles, they assumed they could be worth something, so they quickly placed them inside their bags and moved on. In the hallway, they found some golf clubs and decided they were worth taking, so one of the men ran them outside and dropped them over the fence where their van was parked and returned to the house.

Over the next hour, they filled their van with various items, including old books, two television, a phone and some equipment from the gym and kitchen. It's only when they make their way into the bedroom, they hear a car pull up outside. Knowing that they can't get outside they decide to hide. The tall one hid on the landing, while the shorter one hid in the master bedroom.

"Honey, honey! We have been robbed." They hear a woman shout.

"God damn it, stay here I'm going to call the police." a man shouts.

They hear someone walking around before they hear his voice again. "Damn the phone is missing. Hold on honey I will call from the phone in my office."

The men start to panic, the shorter man knows he won't be seen but he has no way of knowing where his friend was. Suddenly he heard a loud thump and the sound of something heavy falling down the stairs. The man opened the door to see his friend was holding the crowbar covered in blood. Seconds later he heard the lady scream and he knew then his friend had struck the man and probably killed him.

"Get downstairs now." the tall man shouted, before leaving his bag and running down the stairs.

In shock, He picked up his friends' bag and ran down the stairs. Each step had blood staining the cream carpet and at the bottom of the stairs was the body of the man. He was still alive but wasn't moving. Then he heard the scream again and saw his friend strike the woman, repeatedly with the crowbar before she was dead. Next to her was a child, a boy who was crying on the sofa, staring at the body of his mother.

"We need to get out of here now, let's go." the tall man shouted at his friend.

Nodding his head, the shorter man stepped over the body and pool of blood and turned to head back to the kitchen, but he couldn't move one of his legs. Looking down he saw the man he thought wasn't was out cold had a tight grip on his ankle. Slipping he dropped the bags and out of instinct alone hit the man on the side of his head repeatedly. He hit him so hard he felt his skull crushed under the impact of his heavy torch and the man let go. Now he was dead, and in a panic the two men ran out the back of the house and drove off, hoping they had got away with their crimes.