now i'm getting colder | part two

content warnings: (faked) major character death, mentions of / implied sex, swearing, grieving, mentions of drug abuse & addiction, unhealthy coping mechanisms

The morning after Emily dies, Spencer wakes up to the smell of cooking bacon. He feels groggy and disoriented as he sits up in an unfamiliar bed. It's not really a new feeling—it happens often enough with the amount of hotels he's stayed at through work. This bed, though, feels way too nice to be a hotel bed.

He feels around for his glasses, eventually locating them buried under one of the spare pillows. I've got to stop falling asleep with these on. Once he can see clearly, he realizes where he is: one of the guest room's at Rossi's house.

It had been nearly four in the morning when the jet got back to Quantico. JJ and Hotch had gone home to their families, and Rossi had insisted that everyone else stay with him. "None of us should be alone right now," he'd said in a voice thick with emotion.

Spencer tries to ignore the migraine he can feel building behind his eyes as he pulls himself out of bed. He doesn't know how long he was asleep, only that it wasn't long enough. He follows the smell of cooking food out of his room and downstairs to the kitchen. Morgan and Seaver are already awake, chatting quietly at the island while Rossi cooks.

"Pretty boy," Morgan says, noticing his arrival. He pulls out the chair next to him.

"What time is it?"

"Almost eleven," Seaver answers.

Morgan puts a hand on his shoulder when he sits down. "How are you feeling, kid?"

Spencer shrugs. "Okay, I guess. Where's Garcia and (Y/N)?"

"Garcia was dead asleep when I got up," he replies. "I'd guess (Y/N)'s sleeping, too."

"Food's going to be ready shortly," Rossi announces.

Seaver looks to Morgan. "Should we wake them up?"

"I think we should at least check on them." Morgan stands and pats Spencer's arm. "Come on, kid."

He trudges back up the stairs after Derek. He nods towards the door to the room you're staying in before going into the one he'd shared with Garcia.

Spencer opens the door quietly. You're barely visible from the doorway, huddled under the covers, but from what he can see, he thinks you're still asleep. He really doesn't want to wake you—he wishes he was still asleep himself—so he just closes the door again and waits in the hall for Morgan.

Garcia is with him he returns, her sparkly sleep mask pushed up onto her forehead. She hugs him immediately. "Where's (Y/N)? Is she okay?" she asks when she pulls back.

"Still asleep," Spencer says. "I didn't want to wake her because I don't think she's been asleep for very long. The pillowcase was still damp."

"Oh, poor girl," she whispers. "I can't imagine how awful this must be for her."

Morgan puts his arm around her shoulders. "Me either, baby girl. Let's just let her sleep for now."

They make their way back downstairs, where Seaver is helping Rossi dish the finished food onto plates. When Spencer tells him you're still sleeping, Rossi loads one up with everything and puts it to the side for you to eat later.

It's quiet as everyone eats. The food tastes fantastic, and under different circumstances, Spencer would be delighted to be eating it. But as it is, he can't even finish his plate.