wish i were

content warnings: lots of swearing, mentions of/implied sex, mentions of vomiting (nothing descriptive), fighting, negative feelings towards other team members, bittersweet ending

Ten weeks ago.

"Absolutely not," Emily croaks out. Her voice is rough and broken from the breathing tube, and it hurts her throat to speak, but she ignores it. "No. I won't do it."

She can hardly believe what she's hearing. She's only been awake for a few hours and she's already fed up with the bullshit the world is throwing at her. Right now, it's in the form of her boss asking her to fake her own death. "You can't seriously think this is an acceptable solution."

Hotch is unreadable, his unit chief face firmly in place. "It's for your own safety."

Emily scoffs, then immediately winces at the pain that shoots through her midsection. But she continues. "So put me in a safe house or something. I'm not making my friends bury me."

"It's for their safety as well," he replies. "Doyle's still out there. He's targeted them before. You know he'll do it again to get to you if he finds out you're alive."

"Then let them in on this," she argues. "They can keep a secret."

His expression slips—just a little bit, but she sees it. It's hesitance.

"Where's (Y/N)?" she asks, a feeling of dread settling over her. "I want to see her. I'm not making a decision like this without her."

Hotch folds his arms over his chest. "It's not your decision to make, Emily," he says quietly. "It's already done."

Her breath catches in her throat. She looks him up and down, searching desperately for any sign that he's lying, that this is all just some cruel joke, that any second now you'll be walking through the door, a smile on your face—

There are none.

Her lungs burn and she's forced to take in a breath. "You son of a bitch," she whispers. "You... son of a bitch. How dare you? How dare you."

He doesn't so much as flinch as her voice increases in volume, which only serves to make her angrier.

"How fucking dare you! You let me see (Y/N) right now, you bastard!"

The door opens—her heart leaps—

It's JJ, who, if Hotch is to be believed, is the only other one to know about this. JJ hurries to her side and reaches out, but Emily yanks her arm away.

"Don't fucking touch me," she snarls. "You—" Her eyes land on the water pitcher on the table in front of her and she lunges forward, the searing pain it causes barely registering. She seizes it and throws it with all the force she can muster.

Hotch doesn't move out of the way, letting it hit his chest and soak the front of his clothing. Its accompanying cup follows, then the TV remote. It's not until she grabs the vase of flowers that he ducks out of the way. The glass shatters on the floor. All the while, she's screaming obscenities at him.

JJ tries in vain to calm her down, holding up her hands placatingly. "Emily, please—"

"Don't talk to me!" she yells. "You have the audacity to come in here and speak to me when you know I'm alive and my girlfriend doesn't!"

"Emily!" Her voice is stern. "I understand you're upset—"

"Don't use your fucking mom voice on me, Jennifer, I'm not a fucking child—"