Chapter 10 - History Lesson

☽︎𒊹︎︎︎☾︎

"So, what are you doing here at our city? I have guessed that you are both from the Zephirus Kingdom since you have pegasi with you instead of normal horses."

Derrick smiled at Catherine's words, marveling at her quick thinking. "Well, you are correct there, Milady. My brother and I are from Zephirus. As to why we are here, well, let us just state that we are… Looking for a new angle on things." He explained the best he could without giving any advances of being royalty or anyone important. 

Cath nodded as they entered the library. "Are you planning on staying or will you be heading out soon?" 

"Eager to show me out of your estate, Miss Catherine?" He teased with a grin, making her flush in embarrassment. 

"Why, of course not, Sir! I-I would never!" 

He threw his head back and laughed heartily. When was the last time he had laughed like this? "Fear not, for I am simply jesting. Now, to answer your question; yes, we are planning on moving soon. We might stay for the whole festival, but we would take our leave after that. You see, we plan on touring the rest of Macrocosmus, and possibly along with another kingdom."

They made their way to the desk where a stack of books were, making Derrick guess that these were the ones she was currently reading. Right before she sat on a chair, he rushed to pull it behind her and help her be seated. Catherine blushed at the chivalrous gesture, being not used to men near her.

As Derrick took his seat, Catherine, instead of taking a book from the small stack and reading, turned to him instead with a face full of curiosity. 

"How did the Zephirus Kingdom got to be up in the skies?" She asked, making Derrick inwardly coo at the look of her wide eyes full of expectation and excitement. He would definitely take her there one day. 

"Well, to tell you all of this, I assume I should start from the beginning." He recalled all the history lessons he had to take. "One stormy night, four noble knights and a prince came to the shore of a large island using a ship made of expensive wood and materials. These men were Sir Sol Elffire, Sir Jakobo Montanne, Sir Ándre Larmalart, Sir Mitchell Stormorb, and the second-born prince, Prince Ricardo Sternguard. They were very good friends, that nothing could ever break their friendship. 

"They scouted the island and found that it was filled with various creatures that associated with water. Sirens, merfolk, water nymphs, and many more. At that time, these mythical creatures were wild, untamed, quite unlike the present where they were considered civilians along with normal humans.

"They spent five days and six nights in the island, and by then, they found out multiple things. One of those being that one of them could communicate with the water creatures without being harmed. That was Sir Ándre Larmalart.

"With a promise to return, the men went aboard the ship and traveled for a mere half of a day when they reached land once more. This time, they traveled around the larger island for three months and a half. By the time they reached the middle of the large island, they realized that it was large enough to be called a nation.

"Another thing that did not fail to escape their notice was that in every twenty-five days or so of their travels, there would be a new habitat. There were a place full of heated desserts, a region of mountain ranges, there was also a plain field that was very windy and had large, white clouds everywhere. In the middle was somewhere that prided in the night sky for the wonderous stars. 

"In each new habitat were also new habitants. Fire creatures in the dessert, nature creatures in the mountain ranges, flying creatures in the field, and much, much more magical creatures in the middle. Another strange thing was that in each of these places, there was one of the men who would not be harmed. Elffire at the dessert, Montanne at the mountain ranges, Stormorb at the field of clouds, and Sternguard at the middle. 

"But there was one place that they did not visit, thinking that they have already covered the whole archipelago. This was soon called the 'outlands', where the rogue and wild creatures were banished. 

"And so they returned to their original kingdom and told the king of what they found. The king, very pleased of their findings, let them take over the new lands. People then started to move to the new place, eager to have a new start. But, unfortunately, they were quite unprepared of the wild mythological creatures that did not seem to take the newcomers kindly.

"For three years, the humans and the creatures battled over the territory, until one day, they decided to co-exist. As there was a man in the first group who could calmly converse with the creatures, they were made leaders, until soon, they were made kings.

"In a span of seven years, the creatures and the humans began to feel comfortable with the other, and soon, humans started to learn how to use magic, resulting in mages, warlocks, and wizards. There are also some who have fallen in love with one of not their own, resulting in faeries, fairies, werewolves, and vampires, who get their own magic genetically. 

"They helped each other build castles and palace walls to show their territory boarders. Thankfully, no war had started, but many say that there would be a war soon." He finished, and looked at Catherine who seemed to be eagerly listening to every single word he had said. 

Unknown to them, they had shifted positions through the long story. Now, Catherine had her head on his chest, as his arm was over her shoulder, holding her closely.

"I really hope that there would be no war. That would definitely be disastrous." She wistfully stated. 

"Yes, yes it would." 

They stayed quiet for a while, until Catherine looked into the window and saw that the sun was already easing itno the evening. 

"Oh, dear! We have to go now, Sir Derrick. Supper would be ready now." She said, getting up and patting her dress to straighten it from its creases. 

"Very well, but, Miss Catherine," He held her shoulder, making her look at him in question. "Call me Derrick, please." 

A beat of silence passed until she finally smiled, "Only if you call me Catherine as well." 

He smiled back. "Deal."

☽︎𒊹︎︎︎☾︎

As the two entered the dining room, they were met with only Aldwyn and Odelia Ginemoux, but no sign of their younger siblings, making them both confused and concerned at the same time. Just as they were seating themselves, the ones that they were looking for entered, giving them both relief. 

But, as they looked more, they realized that something was strange with the two. For once since the moment they met, Eric and Àimèe were not bickering. They even appeared to be upset with each other. 

Before any of them could say anything concerning this matter, Aldwyn gave the sign to start eating, causing them to halt from asking. They would ask later. 

What happened between Àimèe and Eric? Will they answer the question if their older siblings would ask them? And is the history of the kingdoms true, or a lie altogether?

☽︎𒊹︎︎︎☾︎
Hey, folks! So, there goes the history of the Kingdoms. Of course, I may or may not have may a strange innuendo at the bottom, but is anyone even looking?

Picture is the library, and next update is currently unknown. Sorry.