Chapter 26

New York
30th December,2021
-
Onika's Pov
-

Eventually everything you do will catch up to you. Nothing done in the dark will remain in the dark; light will shine bright on the bad choices you made.

That's what I believed, you'll think my belief will let me make better choices but that's far from it.

"I'm not leaving until I crack this case" Detective Merchant looks absolutely fed up and tired, probably from reaching nowhere in both cases.

I look over at Ty who look like he's about to fall asleep then my eyes went over to Wayne who looks like he rather be anywhere but here.

Detective Merchant pace back and forth casually taking glances at us "One of you know something, how about we skip the headaches and just get to talking?"

That's the last thing any of us will be doing, talking because talking can lead to many things that we rather not face.

She stops in her tracks and looks at me "When was the last time you spoke to Lauren?" She asks the same question over again that she's been asking for the past hour.

My heartbeat increased thinking about the last conversation Lauren and I shared "The last time I spoke to Lauren was at Graduation" I told her honestly like I did the 5th time before.

She hums then looks at Ty "And you?" I don't know where she's going with this because obviously his answer will be the same like before.

Ty seems to be in thoughts trying to figure out the last conversation he and Lauren shared "The last time we spoke was at graduation" He looks over at me after saying that.

Detective Merchant looks between us not saying anything. "The same question applies to you" She told Wayne.

Wayne didn't have to think about the last time he spoke to Lauren like Ty did "Graduation" He says out loud and clear.

The detective gave the three of us a look "The three of you last spoke to Lauren Lake at your school's graduation?" She asks to make sure she heard right.

We all nodded. "Well isn't that a coincident" She chuckles to herself while shaking her head, I can tell this case is taking a toll on her, she reminds me of how Roosevelt was before got bought off by my father.

I look down at my watch seeing that I will be late for work if she didn't wrap this up soon. "Do you have somewhere better to be?" The detective asks me.

"I have to get to work soon" Something told me that she didn't care whether I will be late to work or not.

She rests her hand on the table while looking in my eyes "If I don't get my job done then neither are you" Why do she think that I won't get up and walk out?

I lean back in the chair not really caring what she says because when the clock hits 4:00 I'll be living this room one way or the other.

My eyes looks over at Wayne who hands kept clenching the chair arm; he looks across and meets my eyes. We held contact for a brief second before Detective Merchant voice cuts our staring competition short "I don't know what it is but something is leading me to the three of you" Her eyes flicks between us.

I look at the clock behind her and seen that she only has 5 more minutes of my time "We didn't have anything to do with Lauren's death" My voice might have sounded believable to her but I didn't believe the words coming out of my mouth.

That seems to knock the sleepiness out of Ty, he straighten his posture in the chair then glance over at me "You are only holding us here because you're shitty at your job" Ty boldly says what we all was thinking and I nod in agreement.