CHAPTER 21 - FLAMES IN THE NIGHT

Despite night having fallen over Stormcliff several hours prior, Prince Nathan still sat at the opulent mahogany desk in his chambers pondering the events of last few weeks. His spacious room was lit late into the night by dozens of dripping candles that sat in brackets secured to the masonry by thick metal bolts that had been driven into the stone. He had still been unable to shake his sense of accomplishment; his trip into eastern Verden had been successful in confirming the rumors that the dukes of the four eastern provinces had marshaled their armies to revolt against his father and the rest of Verden. Perhaps now his father would trust him to carry out more special assignments; he wasn't a child anymore.

  It angered him that the dukes, who had sworn fealty to the High King and to protect their provinces of Verden had so selfishly put their people and all their other countrymen who lived in the west in danger by initiating a civil war. There were other solutions to their disagreements than open warfare, especially now when they needed their united strength to defend against the dragons return. With their attention divided it would be all too easy for the dragons to reassert their dominion over man, tossing their relatively young kingdom aside like a child discarding an unwanted plaything.

He sighed heavily. Not for the first time he wished that Matt had accompanied him to Stormcliff. His natural aptitude for his Stormcrier powers was still wild and untamed, but with more tutoring he could be a powerful ally against the resistance, he may even be able to stand toe to toe against a dragon when his strength had grown. That had been what excited him so much about the chance to train Matt personally. In these times of turmoil it was imperative to ensure the loyalty of as many stormcriers as possible. Every stormcrier to swear themselves to the throne was one more powerful ally to oppose the traitors in the east, and now the dragons. Power had radiated off of Matt, noticeable the moment Nathan had met him, more than he had felt from any Stormcrier he had ever met, save perhaps Old Duke Seamus Winfrey. The fact that Matt had remained undetected for so many years was perplexing, it was a pity that Matt's adopted father had been killed by the dragon, it would have been illuminating to question him on the discovery of Matt as a baby. He felt as stab of guilt as quickly as the thought had struck, the tragedy of that situation was that Matt had lost his father, not that the man could not longer be questioned.

   It still puzzled Nathan why Matt had not accompanied him back to Stormcliff to continue his training as they had agreed upon. Matt had given no indication that he intended to stay behind in Riftwater, yet when they had continued their journey to the capital, Matt was not amongst their company. Prince Alexander had encouraged him to begin the trek back home while he went to find Matt, but when his brother had met back up with them, he had informed him that Matt had accepted an offer to stay with Duke Isaac's family for a time. Nathan couldn't blame Matt, he had been through so much over the last month it would feel nice to settle down in a safe place for a while and not focus on anything, even mastering his newfound powers. Eventually, Matt would tire of that life and come find him to continue his training, he knew Matt hungered for answers, even if he was not confident enough to ask just yet. Those questions would lead him to the capital. Still, it struck Nathan as odd that Matt had not explained his decision to him personally, he had only known Matt for a short time but it felt wrong somehow. Alexander's men, Klaus and Anton, had also remained behind in Riftwater, for some training exchange according to his brother. Good riddance, Nathan thought gratefully. He had always hated those men, they were the worst sort of soldiers, mean-spirited bullies who abused what little power they had been given. He hoped that they were not giving Matt too much trouble. Not that they would be brave enough now that they knew that he was a member of the nobility.

  Perhaps I should write him a letter? He began to dig through his desk drawers for ink and a spare bit of parchment. What would he even say in the letter? He dipped a pen in the freshly procured bottle of ink but hesitated to begin. Should he even write at all? Perhaps Matt did not wish to speak with him; that would explain why he stayed behind without saying goodbye. Alexander would know what to say, his older brother always knew how to deal with people better than he did.