CHAPTER 15 - TO THE SOUTH

The Great Plains of Verden stretched on for miles in all directions around Matt, almost uniformly flat with wave after wave of green and amber grass that stood anywhere from mid knee to waist high. A well manicured dirt road scored with deep grooves from decades of wagon travel parted the sea of grass. When he had asked, Will had informed him that the road was called The Sunset Thoroughfare and if followed directly, would lead to the far southeastern coastal city of Sichand. For three days they had traveled through monotonous, unending terrain as they travelled away from Riftwater. They had grudgingly shared the road with a small group of merchants for the better part of a day, but the salesmen had taken their wagons down a side road, bringing their wares to some other corner of the kingdom. They had very carefully trailed behind their fellow wanderers, keeping their heads down as much as they could without making themselves appear shifty. In the few instances when other, small groups of foot travelers had come upon them they had exchanged polite, if distant greetings before slowing their pace and allowing the others to move on ahead. The less time they spent around people who could potentially recognize them, the better chance they would have to grow their lead on their pursuers.

  A good supply of food had been a concern during their forced exodus but thus far they had been able to modestly feed themselves by killing small game that had been unfortunate enough to stumble across their path, but an ever present hunger had begun to gnaw at their stomachs. Water, however, had proven to be the more pressing challenge. While Riftwater had been located on the Amesval River, they had not come across any natural water sources since they had left. In this aspect, Will had impressed greatly, once again proving the usefulness of his magic. The morning after their first night on the road, Will had dug a small hole in the ground in the center of their makeshift campsite and sat perfectly still with his hand on the compacted dirt beside the hole. The young sorcerer had closed his eyes, deep in concentration for a long moment, perfectly still, mumbling foreign words under his breath too softly for Matt to make out. Pure, clean water had filled the hole, drawn from the depth of the surrounding earth. Enough water to fill Matt's empty waterskin.

The spell had left Will appearing drained, but not overly so, and he had assured them that he could repeat the process as needed during their travel until they reached a town where they could purchase food, water, and other travel supplies that they were sorely lacking. The display of magical talent only deepened Matt's awe and respect for Will. The more time he spent around him the more he realized how wrong he had been about magic his entire life. In terms of everyday convenience and usage, it seemed to be far more versatile and practical than stormcrying, which at least to this point seemed to be almost exclusively an offensive talent. He resolved to ask Will more about sorcery whenever they had a quiet moment; perhaps at least a limited amount of magic could be taught, not just found as a naturally gifted power.

  The heavy clouds that had threatened rain since they had left the city still hung low in the sky, dampening the autumn sunlight, but the rain had yet to come. The crisp breeze had also persisted across the days, leaving them consistently cold as they walked, dampening the conversation. Sylvia had pointedly only spoken to Anthony and Will, feigning deafness whenever Matt attempted to give input on their conversations. The general consensus remained to head to the southern coast and acquire passage away from Verden, but an agreement had not yet been reached as to which port city they should set their course for. While Anthony argued that they should follow the road to its end in Sichand, Will wanted to cut a directly south to save them a trip over the mountains and as little time in rebel territory as possible. The problem with that route was finding a smaller road that doubled back before it cut south or they would still have to cross the smaller Sünderin Mountain range. With winter rapidly approaching, the roads at higher elevations would soon be filled with snow and ice, slowing their progress if not stalling it entirely.