My Sworn Enemy

"Nick.....I'm out of words right now" she said looking away
"Of course I love you,but I feel like we are moving way too fast for each other, I just don't know but that's how I feel" she looked at me straight in the eye.
"Too fast as in, I don't know what you mean by us moving too fast" I protected.
There was a moment of silence between us.
I brushed my hand through her hair and pulled her closer to me
"Tell me.why are you scared,tell me,if you like show me the darkest part of your heart and I promise you I'm not gonna run because I love you Ruth"I said.
The tension between us rose after the words I said,after a minute or so she looked at me and she pulled closer to me.
We stared at each other for a while and before we knew we were kissing each other,the kiss deepened with every second, I pulled her tight to me and whispered in between the kiss
"I love you" and continued kissing.
We were still kissing then we heard a knock on the door.
"Lord,please don't let it be Kendrick" I whispered
When I opened the door it was the person I least expected Elena.
"Elena" I mentioned her name in an uncomfortable tone.
"Nick,are you busy,I want to talk to you"she said.
"Yeah,I'm busy I'm doing something" I lied.
"What,maybe I can help you" she said.
I should have known she would still insist,Lucky for me I saw Seth and gave him the look that I need help,he knows that Ruth is inside.
"Nick,are you ready??" Seth said.
"I'm almost done,you see Elena I've got it covered but thanks" I said.
"Sure.....so...next time" she said feeling a little disappointed.
When she left I gave Seth a handshake because he has really helped me.
"Babe,where were we" I said.
We kissed for a while and we talked about how we can make our relationship work.

Its been 3 weeks since Ruth and I started dating, and to be honest I have been enjoying myself,going out together,and even cooking together.
Nick,I really need your help" Sam said  interrupting my time alone on my bed.
"I'm all ears" I said.
"I'm dating Bridget" he said.
"Bridget,so.....wait, isn't that Eunice your girlfriend's roommate" I said surprised.
Sam nodded his head.
"How come?" I asked.
"Ever since Eunice and I started dating,I have been going to her room often and through that I got to know all of her roommates and we have become very close,so one day I was viewing people status on whatsapp and i had a message from Bridget saying she has to talk to me and it is very urgent, and that she will meet me at campus so that we talk about" sam stopped for his words to sink in before he continued
"We met on campus and at first we were having a decent conversation then all of a sudden she says she has a crush on me and she wish that she is the one dating and she won't hesitate to say yes if I propose to her right now,then it all started from there" he concluded.
"And you also proposed to her,seriously" I said.
"Will you say no to this generous offer and considering how Bridget has a big ass, I didn't even think twice then I proposed to her" he said.
"You do have a point too" I supported him.
"So....how can I help you?" I asked.
"I want to know should I continue or I should stop" he said.
As a good friend I would have told him to stop but something in me is happy that my friend is doing this.
"Of course not" I gave in to that voice in me.
"You just know how to play your game,and you will be fine and if you need help of your next move,let me know" I said with a big smile.
"That's my man" Sam said giving me a handshake.
"Thanks for the advice" he said as he left the room.
I rested for a while,got up,put on my football boots and went straight to the football pitch which was behind the hall.
The players were doing a drill,went straight to the coach and asked if there was a room for one more.
He looked at me.
"What's your position" he said in a strict ugly voice.
"Attacking midfielder" I replied.
"There are lots of our players playing in that position,are you sure you can fight for a place in the starting eleven?." he asked.
"I'm not sure" I said,stopped for a while
"I know I can" I said it looking straight in the eye.
"Join them do the drills then" he said without looking at me.
We drilled for like 10 minutes then he told us to stop and he divided us into 2 groups considering of 11 players so that we play against each other.
"You have to see your team in play,so you will be on bench" he said.
The match started the other team was wearing red I guess that's my team and the other is wearing green. They played decent enough I guess but my team is lacking creativity,the guy playing the attacking midfield is good but not that good. But our striper is very deadly you can judge by hoe he made good use of the chances he got.
The coach blew the whistle for halftime and told me to replace the guy playing the attacking midfield,there are 2 attacking midfielders actually but he told me to replace the dark guy instead,but the look the guy gave whilst he was leaving the pitch tells the whole story.
We started the second half with the opposition coming up on us with everything they have and we have to be at our best in defense. I took a little time to look at the opposition and saw that they've got the height advantage over us, so I approached the center backs and told them to keep the ball low instead of playing it high. It worked and we kept the ball in possession most of the time. The opponents lost the ball whilst they were attacking us and we got the opportunity to counter attack,they passed the ball to me I and I started running with it,one of the opponents started running towards me to take the ball,I feinted to the left and moved to the right,another one came at me and I passed the ball to the other attacking midfielder for a quick one two pass between us,now its left with the two center backs to deal with. I still pushed forward and they started going back but still cautious which gave our striker the opportunity to make a run for it and I passed the ball through the defense to him and he scored with a nice finish.
He celebrated in the well known Ronaldo celebration. I glanced at the coach but his expression tells he is not that impressed. I've got to do more than what I'm doing I guess.
The referee blew the whistle and we continued,the opposition got more involved as they pushed more men forward for them to equalize,the ball was with our defensive midfielder,he passed it wide to the wings and I started my run.the wings in turn passed it to the striker who saw me running through the defense and played the ball through for me,leaving the defense defenseless as I got a one on one with the goalkeeper but I missed it,I quickly turned to look at the coach but he was shaking his head,and that moment I knew I have blew my one time shot away. The game continued but we were caught up defending most of the time,and I've got to admit our goalkeeper is really good he has saved us countless time only this match.
The opponents started building up their play through the wings,they passed the ball to their striker who turned so beautiful away from our defender,but our other defender started closing him up,he reached our 18 yard box and tried to fake a shot to shake off the other defender closing him up but he was stopped by a rough tackle and the coach awarded them with a penalty,their striker was the one taking the penalty, he shot the ball to the left but our keeper came to our rescue again by catching them in his gracious hands. He quickly got up and threw the ball far ahead for the counter attack to start, the other midfielder sure got the pace and kicked the ball far ahead and started running after it. He passed the ball to me I dribbled past ine player but got fouled just near the 18 yard box. Our striker was the one to take the free kick but I pleaded with him to let me take the kick and he did. I placed the ball down and watched nowhere but the top left corner, the coach blew the whistle and I curled the ball to the left corner of ths net, and everybody started clapping,I believe no one has scored a free kick except me,I  quickly glanced at the coach and he was also clapping with a huge smile drawn on his face. Everybody was clapping except for the guy who got subbed out,he looked at me with anger burning in his eyes. I looked away because I've got no time for him after all what can he do to me because I can't bleed. We played the match defending  our two goals to the very end.
The coach talked a lot about the match and how we can improve on our next match, planned our schedule and told us to leave and wash ourselves down.
As I was leaving he told me to come and that he wanted to talk to me.
"Nice game you had out there" he said.
"Thanks,just trying to do my best to help the team" I replied him.
"That's the most important thing,helping your team" he said looking at me.
"I noticed something about you in this game,you are not comfortable on the ball,you try to limit yourself whenever you are on the ball and that is really bad for a midfielder" he criticized me in his voice.
"You have to feel free whenever you are on the ball like how you do when you are playing basketball" he said with a smile.
"You were there??" I asked surprise.
"Of course,and I've got to admit you really got the potential to become a star both in basketball and football but before you become a star you have to bridge the gap between your football and basketball,you have to understand that they are all sports and there is not much difference between them." he finish the last sentence on a low tone.
"I can tell by that look that you were once in my shoes" I said.
He smiled" I was,I played basketball and football and I was really good,ladies were throwing themselves at me but I ruined my future by letting the fame get in my head, I was supposed to stay humble but I was not, at a very young age,I was the star in my team and I was not willing to listen to advice from those older and more experienced than me" he said looking away.
I guess he was trying to fight the tear that was fighting to come out.
"Don't ever repeat my mistakes,no matter what happened promise me you will stay humble" he said in a strict voice.
I was stunned by it.
"Promise me" he looked at me straight in the eye.
"I promise" I almost chocked out the words.
"You can go,I want some time alone " he said.
I walked back to my room and saw Prince and Seth staring at me. I saw the look they are giving me and senses that something is not right.
"What is it?" I asked.
"Elena came and look for you, I have to admit she has a crush on you" Prince said.
"Yeah,even yesterday when you told her to go and that you can handle it,I saw the look in her eyes and I was sad, she really likes you" Seth said.
"Listen guys,she does not have a crush on me, she sees me as a friend,how can a beautiful girl like Elena have a crush on me, it makes no sense" I said laughing.
"Let's analyze something here, so first of all you've got the looks, second you can play basketball which  alone can make most girls fall for you then you also know how to play football, like damn" Seth said.
"You guys have a point but I'm not going to tale it serious" I said as I made my way to the bathroom to tale my bath.
"She says she will come back later" Prince said.
I took my bathe,ate rice with beans stew,took my phone and went straight to WhatsApp only to be greeted my Ruth's message reminding me that we've got dinner tonight at 7 pm.
I got up and went straight to the wardrobe,looking through it for a nice clothes to put on.
"God,how can I forget about this" I screamed at myself. I looked at the time any it reads 7:20 pm. I knew I'm gonna be late.
I wore a white round neck top with a black jeans,I put on a black jacket on in case it get cold and a white sneakers to match with my shirt.
I heard a knock on the door,when I opened the door,it was Ruth standing with an angry look on her face.
"You should be the one knocking on my door not me" she said in an angry tone.
"Babe,I'm sorry the football coach and I practiced for a while that's why" I explained myself in a calm tone.
"I know,you have not been this late every time we go out,so I wanted to check if everything is OK" She said in a much calm tone this time.
I took my wallet and opened the door for her to get out. After closing the door, I saw Elena approaching us.
"Hey,going somewhere?" She asked whilst looking at Ruth.
"Um..yeah I'm actually going out" I said.
"Didn't your roommates tell you that I came to search for you?" She asked.
"They did but something popped up" I said.
"What?"she asked.
"I did, we are going out" Ruth said.
"Who is she?" Elena asked me.
"Elena,Ruth"
"Ruth,Elena" I said.
"Can you explain what's going on, Nick" Elena said in a demanding voice.
"I'm his girlfriend" Ruth said.
"Woah,so you have a girlfriend" Elena said choking the words out.
She walked away after that.
"What was that about?" Ruth said angrily.
"Babe,listen" Elena is a friend.
"Oh really,so that's how friends behave" she said.
"You know what? I don't want to go out anymore" she said and left.
I spent the rest of the  evening convincing Ruth that Elena is just a friend,it took a while but she still came around.
The following morning I woke up with a sense of guilt,I don't know if its because of how Elena walked away and the words that she said. I sent a message yesterday on whatsapp it has ticked blue but she didn't reply me.
I went to class with Kendrick who surely does not remember what happened to him.
On my way to my room after class,I saw Elena walking alone,I told Kendrick to take the lead and I went to talk to Elena.
"Hey" I said.
She didn't even turn to look at me.
"What do you want,aren't you supposed to spend some time with your girlfriend" she replied me.
I don't know why but the words she spoke out hurt my very soul within.
"Listen, I know.."
"Hey babe" Ruth interrupted me.
Elena didn't stop for a second and continued walking.
"I can see you are talking to that lady" she said.
"Seriously,Ruth she is my friend,of course I'll talk to her" I replied her.
"Whatever,how was your day?" she asked me.
"Not bad," I said
We talked for a while then said goodbye because i have to wash myself down.

Its been one week since Elena found out that I'm dating Ruth and since then she has been ignoring me. I told Kendrick about it and he was like
"I told you she loves you,I was right" he said.
I'm all alone in my room because I have no lectures today, lying on my bed, Seth entered the room with a puzzled look on his face.
"Nick,are youstill dating Ruth?" He asked.
"Yeah,why do you ask" I sat on my bed after answering his question.
"Do you remember that guy who was bragging about winning a dink contest competition?" He asked.
"Stephen,yeah what has he done?" I said
"He was the one kissing Ruth" Seth said.
"WHAT!, you are kidding right?" I asked praying he will say yes.
"How can I joke about something like this,I don't know if there are still there,but you can go and check, where they sell snacks they are there,Ruth sitting on his laps and kissing whist eating snacks."
I put on some clothes to check for myself,after putting on something decent to wear I made my way to the ground floor and on the way, i saw Prince.
"Nick, I saw Ruth and that guy who was bragging about winning the dunk whatever kissing" he said.
"I know Seth has told me" I said.
When I reached the place, I saw Ruth and Stephen kissing, that moment I felt my heart tearing into pieces,I felt my feet glued to the floor as I watched them kissing and eating.
I gathered the courage and approached them.
"Tell me what I did wrong?" I asked
"Nick" she said surprised.
"Listen,I can explain myself" she said.
"No need babe to explain yourself, go and buy another drink for us,will you?" Stephen said.
As Ruth was getting up,Stephen asked her to kiss him again but this time I looked away, my heart couldn't control myself.
Ruth left us to buy the drink.
"She is such a beauty,isn't she?" Stephen said with a smirk.
"I heard you were dating her,so I told myself what better way to hurt you than taking your girlfriend" he said.
I just stood there,out of words.
"I told u Nick, I'll make your life miserable and everything that is yours will be mine,you can count on that." He said.
I left the there barely holding myself.
"Nick,Nick" Elena called my name as she run towards me.
"What?" I said not getting the courage to look at her.
"The Whisper Sentinels is under attack" she said.