CHAPTER TWO,

HAWK & SABLE | TWO

  "SO CLOSE," IO said wistfully, staring out from the deck of the ship, eyes glued to the faint silhouette of Saian shore.

Ciri eyed her, looking amused. No matter what, the younger girl was humorous and brave. She was the fire to Asteria's ice and Danna's water. They may have taken parts of her away, but they hadn't broken her spirit yet. And Ciri doubted they ever would. Iolanthe Mi was a fighter, just like her mother. Admirable in one so young.

"We'll be at the docks in around an hour," Asteria confirmed. "Arrive in Hong Cheng by nightfall." It wasn't too long a journey from Arecia to Sai. A few days, usually. But on a boring, drab ship, those hours passed slowly. All of them were anxious to get off. And none of them would admit it, but they were all a little bit homesick. Ciri just wanted to taste some proper Saian food, and the feeling of her feet on solid ground. It was one of those things you didn't realise you missed until you lost it.

"Comfortable bed by midnight," Danna grinned. "Wonder if my sister is in the Palace." Danna's older sister was Megara, Baroness of Xiang Zhou. The two loved each other, that much was clear, but disagreed regarding many things, including their youngest sister, Hebe. Ciri personally hoped the Baroness would not be in residence. They had a mission to complete on this trip, and she didn't want Danna distracted. But the Baroness wasn't a regular at the Palace, so she wasn't too worried.

Asteria tilted her head. "Not that I'm aware of." She exchanged a quick glance with Ciri, clearly echoing her thoughts. They'd been arguing over where to send the youngest Pang sister since their father had died and Megara had ascended to the barony. Megara thought Hebe should be allowed a few more years of her freedom and childhood and hence stay with her. Danna thought Hebe was miserable not because the two sisters had a poor relationship but due to the fact she was a full ten years older than her youngest sister. Megara said that Hebe would be even more miserable under Lady Kuroki's care, especially right now, since the youngest sister did not have the steel her older sisters were built of. Keeping up with the disagreement gave all of them whiplash, so they had chosen to leave the three Pang sisters to their own fate regarding this topic long ago.

"Pity." Danna made a cluck-cluck sound with her tongue. The black-haired girl was generally a woman of few words, but she could be talkative when she wanted to be, around people she was comfortable with. Ciri was fortunate to count herself among those ranks. Miss Daneira Pang was someone who was usually overlooked— a wallflower at every ball, usually by choice. When she brought any attention to herself, it usually attracted scandal. Her mother had been known for her scandals and improper behaviour in her youth, and part of it had spread to her three daughters, no matter how hard they tried to be the definition of the proper, well-bred misses.

Io shrugged. "You could occupy your sister's suite by yourself if you want to. The rest of us would be stuck with Lady Kuroki's. Except maybe Ciri and that Viscount Archsham. The two of you would probably be offered guest quaterings."

"I'd most likely be placed in my father's courtyard house," Asteria pointed out. The Duke of Shui Xiang's residence in the Scarlet Palace was one of the most luxurious, known as the Haixuan Gong. The Swirling Water Palace. It had been a gift for all his service. Without him, the Yie dynasty would not have been possible, and he had been rewarded accordingly.

"Oh." Io pouted. "Well, I'm living with the lady alone. Bummer." The baroness and her students were frequent visitors of the school, and hence had been offered a small palace for their use. At this time, one or two of the older students might be in her reserved courtyard house, the Bailu Gong— the Hundred Green Palace, under the care of one of Lady Kuroki's carefully selected teachers. Most of the students made strategic marriages, and hence Lady Kuroki had them have as much exposure to any court as possible.