CHAPTER NINE,

HAWK & SABLE | NINE

"THE HEADQUARTERS OF the Royal Treasury," Asteria announced as their entourage paused outside a pleasant looking building. "The offices are inside the Bai Jiang Tower, with a few sprinkled around the rest of the houses in the courtyard."

"Wow," Ronan marvelled mockingly. "It's almost as if you don't need me."

Ronan was much like Rhys. On the job, the two were either stony cold or mockingly sardonic. It could make them difficult to work with from time to time.

Asteria levied him with a glare. He rolled his eyes back. "The lady is correct, of course. This is Bai Bing Gong." He took a few steps forward, pushing open the door slowly, offering a bow as the rest of them walked in. Ciri walked at the back with Danna. Iolanthe had left early in the morning for the mission Irina had assigned her and they hadn't seen her since then. Lady Kuroki stayed behind, citing her need to visit her sister, the Duchess of Shui Xiang as a reason.

"Impressive," Laurence murmured, surveying the courtyard.

Ciri frowned. "Didn't this use to be Ling guifei's palace?"

Asteria grinned. "You got it. We turned the palace of the concubine known for her frivolous, ridiculous spendings into the headquarters of the empire's Royal Treasury. We love our ironies."

Danna snorted. "History doesn't seem to be repeating itself so far. Our coffers are fine, thank god."

Ronan had wandered to the closest door, knocking. A young official opened the door, eyes widening when he saw the group gathered there. A few quiet words with the Iron Wolf and he ran off, probably to fetch his superiors.

Ronan walked back looking annoyed. "I thought they were already informed of this tour."

Asteria waved her hand, as if it was perfectly alright for a future duchess to be kept waiting without refreshments or shelter. "Whatever, they're busy. I'd never bother them unless it was for something important anyways. Like catching an important mole." The last words were whispered. You never knew who was listening. If they were lucky, the traitor they were seeking was within these walls.

Laurence shrugged. "With all the things we've gone through, a few minutes of waiting under the sun is the least we could manage."

Ronan, wise boy he was, chose not to argue, instead standing with the patience and stillness of a guard. It was rather unnerving. Ciri moved towards the decorative ponds, leaning forward slightly to study the flowers there. Laurence raised a brow. "Lotuses. You like them?"

Ciri straightened and shrugged. "They're pretty. I prefer camellias, but it's not the season. Too early, I'm afraid."

He tilted his head, pensive. Danna joined her, and with humour in her voice, said, "They should have planted tangerines."

"To represent gold? I suppose so... though it's not the season for that either, is it? Summer is not a good time to enjoy flowers."

"Summer isn't a good time to enjoy most activities under the sun," Danna said dryly. "It's extremely hot and I didn't bring a fan."

"Perhaps if they'd just come and receive you..." Came Ronan's growl across the courtyard. Ronan who, with his wiccai hearing, could listen into their conversation perfectly.

Asteria was starting to get impatient too. "We've already spent all morning dealing with the court. I'm writing a nice little speech in my head for when the officials come out. Might as well use this chance to establish a bit of a reputation." That would be wholly unnecessary. Anyone who had heard of her parents would already imagine a terrifyingly cool young woman who could never be pleased. That was halfway to describing Asteria Lu already, really.