CHAPTER THIRTY-ONE,

HAWK & SABLE | THIRTY-ONE

"IT FEELS FAMILIAR," Cass mused, glancing around the corridors. "But it's not. It's changed a lot, has it not?"

Ciri shrugged. "I barely remember what it looked like before, so don't talk to me about it."

Cass made some sound with her throat. A moment later, she said, "Good work."

Cass had arrived, placed down her luggage, sent Marcus off with Laurence and the others before sprinting off with Ciri for a tour. Now they wandered around pointlessly, enjoying the architecture and the quiet of the inner palace. In the early afternoon, the sun was bright, so they stuck to the shades, fanning themselves.

"Thank you," Ciri replied, which was what you did when you were praised. "So you're engaged. That's not surprising."

"Yes. Dare I say you're on the same path?"

Ciri raised a brow. "What makes you say that?"

"We see how he looks at you. And you're not exactly discouraging him either." She leaned forward, tapping her cheek. "Well? Answer my question?"

"Not for a while," was what she responded with. She'd discussed it quietly with Laurence after they had retired indoors to privacy. She was young. They both were, and they both had separate lives to live before anything else. But promises had been exchanged.

Cass understood that, of course. She'd run for six years from Marcus because of her own fear of stability and security and reliance on anyone except herself. Something both Sable Sisters had been cursed with. Or perhaps it was a gift?

Her sister patted her on the shoulder. "Wise choice. Both to get our family off our backs, and for your own happiness. He's a good man. I don't know what happened to him exactly, but he deserves joy. Not sure he deserves you though."

Ciri laughed. "You overpraise me. Though that had slipped my mind. Our family would finally stop nudging us in the direction of unmarried men every time we visit Asayama. It's awfully embarrassing, truth be told."

"Especially, I suppose, when you have to very politely turn them down." Cass's icy exterior kept most people at a distance, but Ciri naturally attracted people around herself. Both sisters had different tactics of self-preservation, and both worked like a charm. "That is awkward, is it not?"

"Always," Ciri said with mock seriousness. "But truly, though, it's embarrassing for both parties, this little thing called rejection."

"Careful, sister, you sound arrogant now." She gave a little nudge.

A shrug. "Not if it's the truth. It really is an awkward thing. You've rejected a person or two in your lifetime. You know what it feels like."

"Nowhere as much as you." Cass swatted at her arm painfully. "Come on. Is this Yun Zhu Gong? I visited this once. This one looks the same."

"Noble Consort Lun lived here, didn't she? Was killed in the attack, I think," Ciri frowned. "She was the Duke of Mo Yi's daughter, I suppose."

"Loyal to death to the old dynasty," Cass agreed. "Her death was an accident as far as I'm aware, though. The attack was meant to spill as little blood as possible. Hell, even Iolanthe's father was spared." The last words were whispered softly. Asteria must have told her, then. Danna would never let those words leave her mouth, and it wasn't something Io liked to share. One of the many places the girl found unnecessary shame in.

"I'd never understand why. I suppose for a better reputation. A bloodless revolution seems much more pleasant than a bloody one."

"Unless you're a bloodthirsty twelve year old, I suppose."