CHAPTER FIVE,

HAWK & SABLE | FIVE

SHE WASN'T SURE why she warned him. He didn't need it. He would have noted every danger within sight and further the moment he stepped anywhere, being the trained spy he was. But she did it anyway.

He tilted his head, a small smile on his lips. "I realised."

"You're safe from my friends, I think. Princess Longyu seems rather cold but she's practical above all else, and she gains nothing from hurting you. Prince Ruge is much more easy going. He likes you."

"A great honour."

He was being sardonic and sarcastic. Usually she appreciated that combination and his dry wit. Today she was annoyed by it. She hid her irritation behind a sip of tea. That was one thing she loved about the Scarlet Palace and Sai. They served tea everywhere, and it's good tea. Tea she could drink without feeling all queasy in her stomach afterwards.

He flashed a smile. "I've annoyed you. I have that effect on people."

"You're not blind, at least, which is good." She placed the small, bone china cup back down. "But here is what I wish to say, if you'd stop interrupting me." A scowl. "You are safe from my friends, but not from others. There are people among us who are not fond of foreigners. You are counted among those."

"I realised." There he went again. Being witty. Ciri felt her eyes roll before she could stop it. She was usually much more graceful than this. But some part of her felt much more comfortable around Laurence than she should be. She wasn't sure if it was necessarily wise. Cass trusted him, and Ciri backed her sister's instincts more often than not.

"You're very familiar with the Prince and Princess." And then the charming friend had vanished again, replaced by the wily spy, carefully probing for information. Two can play this game.

Ciri said, "Of course. We converse regularly. I am a friend of Asteria's, and Asteria is a friend of theirs." Nothing he didn't already know.

"Ciri, Ciri," he flashed his pearly white teeth. "We're allies here. Arecia says we would not support you if you chose to start a war, but the truth is that we'd be overjoyed to do so. Caershire is begging for a chance to show off their armies and power."

"Arecia already knows more secrets than us Saians like." Lady Kuroki's girls, for example. "I'd say we're more or less equals, wouldn't you? We will reveal information if it's necessary. Be patient. Don't get into trouble. I don't want to waste time digging you out of it."

"I shall be prudent and listen to your advice. But even I did things that would land me in trouble, you wouldn't be aware of it." Then he was underestimating her as well. He was a good spy, but she was trained by both the Duchess of Dai and Lady Kuroki. Their skills were probably evenly matched. And she was on home turf, vastly outnumbering him. If it came down to it, he wouldn't win.

She made a sound that conveyed her opinion on that without actually saying anything. "Irina and Ryan would probably invite a few people to dinner. Young officials, nobles. The Circle of Herons and the Circle of Cranes. The future leaders of this empire. Try your best to not offend any of them and get on their good side. I'm not much worried about that, you being you, but I like to be careful."

"Offending them would be offending the entirety of Sai. Got it."

Ciri's eyes blazed with barely suppressed fury. "For hell's sake, be serious for once."

"I am," he replied, nonchalant. "I like to be humorous when people warn me against losing my life accidentally."

"Serious is not humorous. Make up your mind." She kept her voice firm, matter-of-factly, like a mother would talk to her rebellious son. She felt like one right now, really. Decades older. She felt like Lady Kuroki sending her girls out on missions. It was not a nice feeling. She made a mental note to respect her mentor a damned hell more.