33. The Lucky Draw

A/N : Inline comments are love, so are your final comments on how you feel about the whole story after you read it. Looking forward to lots of both as you read each chapter!

Happy Reading!

***

I couldn't take my eyes off the sight that met me from across the table, as she walked down the steps to the terrace garden that had been arranged for our dinner date – I know, I know, going by my choice of girlfriends in the past, my co-models for my albums you would think she was some drop dead gorgeous diva who could give the most beautiful woman in the world a run for her money – but no, the woman who walked in was slightly different – sinfully beautiful yes, but her accessories were different – instead of using the shiny thick mascara to accentuate her eyes, she used an ordinary framed spectacle to hide them! Instead of the perfect shimmery dress that would cling onto her to highlight her creamy skin, deep cleavage and perfect curves, she was wearing what one would call an umbrella stitched together to function as a dress. She had curly messy hair, a fragile body and an ordinary clutch in her hand – and judging by the way she kept twirling the end of her dupatta, she was very nervous about all this!

She looked up when she reached my table and tried to smile courteously, but a stretched lip and a nod was all she could manage – I found it hard to not laugh at her coy embarrassed attitude, but after managing that feat, I got up from my seat and extended my hands towards her, "Abhi" I said in greeting, she touched my hand lightly for a bare few seconds and muttered almost in disbelief, "Rockstar Abhi". It churned something inside me, that was what the public called me, but I put it aside and smiled, "Hello Rockstar Abhi, nice meeting you. I am just Abhi, by the way!"

She looked at me confused for a moment and then much to my surprise laughed a little, "Sorry, I am Pragya, Pragya Arora – it's just that all this is so strange" she mumbled back.

"Why is it strange?" I asked surprised.

"You know, you're no ordinary man, you're the rockstar! People die to meet you, and you're out of everyones reach – but here I am on a date with you" she replied a little relaxed, but flushed again by the last few words and corrected, "I mean the Lucky Draw dinner thing, sorry, not date" she clarified and stole an embarrassed glance at me.

I laughed aloud this time, "Why sorry? It is a date but! Didn't the draw promise you a date with the rockstar? This is just that – delivered as promised!", I smiled. She bit her lips and smiled back.

"Actually to be honest, I hadn't filled up this lucky draw contest form – my daadi had, she is a huge fan of your music, but she got really embarrassed when she won it, so she sent me for this dinner – umm..date I mean"

"Aah so daadi was supposed to be my date tonight! She should have come! I haven't dated older women yet – this could be a new feather on my hat you know?" I winked at her, she just looked at me in innocent shock – she was starting to melt my heart again with her innocence.

"So, when daadi passed this to you, were you thrilled?" I asked casually.

She looked at me with a strange smile before replying, "Ahan" – wait that wasn't a smile even, that was a smirk – so chashmish was smirking at me.

"So you weren't excited?" I asked with a slight smile, and she looked at me apologetically.

"Suniye, it's not that" she said, and I flinched, but she didn't notice it and continued. "Actually I am not much into your kind of music. To be honest, I have only heard Happy Love and that too because my daadi and sister used to love hearing that song – but before this dinner, daadi made sure I heard all the songs of your last album" she said with a small adorable smile.

"Aah, so you don't like my music, too bad. But maybe you can compensate?" I asked with a twinkle in my eyes. But before I could continue, the waiter came with my scotch and her orange-kiwi-mango mixed juice. She smiled and took it.

"I took the liberty to choose your drink when I ordered before you arrived, please feel free to change if you don't like it" I said casually.

To my amusement, a surprise look crossed her face, "How'd you guess about ordering this? It's my favourite most flavour in juice" she said in bewilderment, "And it's not common either!" she added.

"Maybe you are not my fan, but who knows, could be that you have a fan who knows everything about you!" I winked, and she smiled before taking another sip.

"So, where were we? Yes, so you don't like my music, but maybe you could compensate you know!" I said with a serious face. She looked intrigued.

"How may I compensate?" she asked with a smile, she seemed comfortable now, I relaxed.

"Well, you don't like my music, maybe you could like something else about me – anything, looks, style, body, attitude, sunglass maybe?" I suggested lazily.

She looked at me with a strange expression for a while before responding, "your daadi", and I almost spilled my scotch in surprise, as I looked at her.

She clarified, "No, no, as in, when I heard your album, I heard  the heart-warming thankyou you said to your daadi there, it showed the strong bond you share – so if I had to like something about you, it'd be that!" she smiled.

I was stunned for a moment, she was not herself, yet she was so her.

"Aah, sounds like a fair deal" I muttered.

In a little while, I produced a gift packet and gave her, she looked surprised, and asked, "It's a part of the draw thing right? Gift from the sponsor?"

"Well you are supposed to consider that it's a gift from me you know!" I laughed.

"Wonder what it is" she murmured.

"A beautiful saree and matching jewellery from Andies - for a magnificent lady!" I replied smiling.

"Wow. Wait how'd you know? You wouldn't.." she muttered surprised.

There, she was sharp as ever, "No, the sponsors told me. It's all a part of making the experience more believable" I provided, thinking to myself that I should keep it casual from now.

The rest of the evening we spoke generally about anything and everything there was – we spoke about her research and academics, her family, her passion for reading, her thesis paper, my music, her perception about who the rockstar might be – as the night progressed, I got to know many many things about her, only nothing was new to me – even she got to know a bit about me, but all was new to her, well that's what she thought anyway.

After spending a magical evening with her, when we were leaving, I asked her, "Pragya, I loved talking to you, would you like to meet me again some other time?" My heart was beating very fast.

She smiled at me and replied, "Yes Abhishek I would love to meet you. Only, not in a lucky draw date – I feel guilty of robbing your fans off this opportunity"

I laughed at that, and promised I would arrange for another lucky draw dinner for my fans, if that made her less guilty. She laughed.

"Lucky Draw Dinner or Date?" she mocked.

"That would be Dinner – this was Date" I replied shortly.

"Aah so am I one of the few lucky ones who had a chance for a date?" she smirked. "You know what? For whatever reason, ever since I woke up today morning, I felt today was different, not mundane like other days – maybe it's my lucky day!" she laughed and shortly after that, she left.

I stood there seeing her go, whispering to myself, "It is a lucky day, it is our 1st wedding anniversary Fuggy. Happy 1st, and hope you like my gift"

"Don't worry bhai, hasn't the doctor said, her amnesia is temporary? She will remember everything slowly. I know she has no clue of who you are, but see, she agreed to meet you again – we don't have to think of strange ideas like this again! You're at least friends now"

I sighed. Aakash was right, if not anything else, we could surely restart from here.

***

A/N : Guys, don't forget to vote, share and leave me a message :)