Chapter 66 Time to step up.

True to his word, Professor Wanner returned twenty minutes later. He had a tray of food and Seki in tow, and they were having an animated conversation. So much for 'all business' Seki.

'I brought a good meal for you. I know you'll be hungry after burning all that brainpower,' he said. 

'Thank you, Doctor,' I responded solemnly. Seki, who was all smiles when she came through the door, saw my expression. 

'What has happened?' she asked. I looked at Professor Wanner and then Seki. 

'We're expected to run,' I said.

'What? I don't understand.' 

'The Tama Maru is a colony ship. They knew about their existence since the Marathon incident.'

Professor Wanner put the food on the desk and retrieved a chair for Seki. He placed it next to mine. A confused Seki sat down without a word. 

'What do you mean 'They knew about their existence since the Marathon incident'?' she asked after a delay.

I turned to Professor Wanner. 'You know the details, right?'

'Yes,' he said.

'Why me?' I asked. 

'Why? Because you are a hero, and this crew will follow you anywhere.'

'Professor, you know my history? Why would they give such a monumental project to a washed-up has-been?' 

He smiled at me but didn't reply. 

'It's not worth the risk,' I said.

He knitted his fingers together and leaned forward. 'Captain, I beg to differ. From what I've been told, you were able to piece together everything, by yourself.' He turned to Seki 'Am I correct, Commander Hosuzu?'       

'That is true,' she said, still confused about the situation.

'And your recent incident showed our vulnerability to enemy tactics.'

'And nearly got me killed.' 

' That may be, but what would have happened if we did not discover the risk?'

'But...'

'But nothing, there's no better man for this time than you.' 

God, not another one.

'Oh, get over yourself,' snapped Seki. I gave her a death stare. Wanner glanced back and forth at both of us. Then she caught herself and looked sheepish. 'Sorry,' she apologized.