Chapter 27 Of water fountains and uniforms.

We were the only ones around when we exited the pod. The water fountain was across the way, and we headed directly to it.

'Oops.' I said as I squirted water on my uniform. The XO rolled her eyes at my childish behaviour.

Under normal conditions, I would not consider performing this subterfuge, however this is not a normal situation. Right now, I need to do everything to keep the crew's morale intact. If it means hiding the XO's grief over losing her immediate family, I will. 

There was a low hum as another transport pod arrived at the platform. Its doors opened and out stepped Command Master Chief Su dressed in a vacuum rated uniform. Given that the ship was on LERTCON level one, she was ahead of Seki and me in compliance. 

On her left arm she draped her standard issue uniform, in her right hung her boots. She could not salute, and she did not try. The CMC gave the XO and me a double over and said. 'Captain, you seem a bit... wet.'

I glanced at my soaked uniform. 'Um, yes, I had a minor water fountain accident.' Seki stared at the floor to hide her guilt.

'I think you're forty-five minutes early, CMC.' I said, redirecting the conversation.

'I am headed to an inspection. I met this guy on the way.' 

A service bot appeared from behind her. 'It carries vacuum rated kits for me and the other crew in this section, so I took the opportunity to change my uniform on the way here.' She patted the bot awkwardly. It beeped in a contented way. Maybe I imagined the bot's contented beeping.

'That's rather efficient of you.' I said.

'Why don't you have it return your uniform to your quarters?' Seki asked as Su rebalanced her uniform on her arm.

'I already told it to do so when it had finished its other deliveries.'

I'm so clueless about you. Seki looked at me with a subtle tilt of her head and questioning expression.

'Captain, if I don't take my leave now, I will be late for our planned meeting.' 

'Captain, XO excuse me.' She gave us an awkward salute and paced away in the opposite direction. I stood staring at her back as she departed. 

'Why?' Seki asked.

'Why what?'

'That you're clueless about her.'

'Most would have just abandoned their original uniform with the bot, she didn't.' I said and glared at the floor. 'What type of captain knows next to nothing about his third in command?' I asked and stalked to the Medical unit. Seki and the service bot followed. 

Seki caught up to me and said, 'You really should give yourself a break. There are many captains who know less about their crews than you.' We walked along in silence, our footsteps echoing in the quiet arterial corridor.

'I didn't want this job,' I said, staring at the floor, my voice a whisper. 'If it wasn't for her, I wouldn't be here.'

'The funny thing is, she's the reason I am on this mission too.' Seki said offhanded.

'What?' I said and stopped walking. Seki stopped a half step later. The poor bot braked hard to avoid hitting me. Its wheels squeaked on the floor as it came to a sudden stop. 

'Admiral Craskell requested I take this mission too.' 

Oh, great, yet another command staff issue I am ignorant of. I thought and grimaced. 

'I am sorry. I am not easing your mood, am I?' 

'It's not your fault I'm not performing my job, XO. Besides, we have the urgent matter of my sanity to confirm first.' I said, sighed and continued walking. 

We spent the rest of the brief trip in an uncomfortable silence.

We entered the brilliant white hall of main medical. At the triage desk, corpsman Gilroy was on duty. He noticed as we entered and saluted in a crisp marine way. We returned his salute in Space Force fashion. That is to say, XO's and my salutes lacked the... precision of the Marine's.

'Overachieving as usual, Corporal.' 

He gave us a broad grin. 'I have to keep my certifications current, Captain. Besides, simulations only take you so far.'

'I understand. I am here to see...' 

'Dr Mohan. He informed us of your arrival and said to send you in.' 

'Thank you, Mr Gilroy. Carry on.' I said and saluted again. The XO and I left the counter and headed for Deepak's office. The service bot stayed at the counter and beeped to get the corporal's attention. As we walked away, Seki had a smile on her face.

'What's with the smile?' I asked.

'Oh, just thinking how great a captain you actually are.' 

'Oh, I see.' I did not pursue her comment as we arrived at Deepak's office. I pressed the door's chime. It rang with a non-standard, charming melody I did not recognize. Some commanders would take issue with this lack of conformity. I, however, felt this was too trivial to warrant attention.

'Enter.' He said, and the door opened. 

'Ladies first.' 

'Why, thank you kindly, Captain.' She said in an awful Southwestern American accent and entered the office ahead of me. I followed, and the door hissed closed behind us.