Chapter 8 - The Sorting Hat

Percy POV

Professor Mcgonagall led us through two giant doors into the Great Hall, where there were four long tables with many kids. There were also some floating candles. The roof appeared to be the sky. 

"It's not real, the ceiling. It's just bewitched to look like the night sky. I read about it in Hogwarts: A History." Hermione said. 

"All right, will all of you wait along here, please? Now, before we begin, Professor Dumbledore would like to say a few words." McGonagall said. 

An very old man with a long silver beard rose from the main table. 

"I have a few start of term notices I wish to announce. The first years please note that the dark forest is strictly forbidden to all students. Also, our caretaker, Mr. Filch has asked me to remind you that the 3rd floor corridor on the right hand side is out of bounds to everyone who does not wish to die a most painful death. Thank you." Dumbledore said.

"When I call your name, you will come forth, I shall place the sorting hat on your head, and you will be sorted into your houses. Hermione Granger." Professor Mcgonagall said. 

"Oh, no. Okay, relax." Hermione said. 

She went up to the Sorting Hat. 

"Ah, right then...hmm...right. Okay...Gryffindor!!" The Hat said. 

Hermione jumped off, smiling. 

"Draco Malfoy."

Draco sauntered up proudly. The tattered hat nearly freaked out before it touched down on his head. 

"SLYTHERIN!"

There was some cheering, but not as loud. 

"There isn't a witch or wizard who went bad who wasn't in Slytherin." Ron said. 

"Susan Bones."

A small, redhead girl walked up. 

Harry looked around and spotted a black haired professor, whose name was Severus Snape. 

He rubbed his forehead in pain. 

"What is it?" I asked. 

"Nothing."

"HUFFLEPUFF!" The Sorting Hat yelled. 

"Ronald Weasley." 

Ron gulped and walked up. He sat down and Mcgonagall put the hat on his head. 

"Ah! Another Weasley. I know just where to put you...Gryffindor!" 

Ron sighed with relief. 

"Harry Potter." 

Everybody went silent. 

"Hmm...difficult, very difficult. Plenty of courage I see, not a bad mind, either. There's talent, oh yes, and a thirst to prove yourself. But where to put you?" The Sorting Hat said. Harry started whispering something I couldn't hear, but the Hat did. "Not Slytherin, eh? Are you sure? You could be great, you know. Its all here in your head. And Slytherin will help you on your way to greatness! There's no doubt about that! No? Well, if you're sure...better be...GRYFFINDOR!"

We all cheered. 

Some other people got sorted into their respective houses, until my name was called.

Silena, Luke, Zoe, and Charles were sorted into Gryffindor. 

Bianca, Lee, and Castor were sorted into Ravenclaw. 

"Perseus Jackson."

Word Count: 461