Chapter Three

[A/N]  Just taking a moment to get this out before I miss my chance.

It's worth noting that the neptunious author knows Lowell is acting crazy, as do many of the characters, but that everything happening in this story is happening in a safe bubble, make believe, so don't worry, I won't let my characters get hurt, much.

Neither will I pretend that relationships would ever work the way that they are depicted in my books. I enjoyed reading about Alex Rider almost getting crushed to death in a sugar mill in Skeleton Key but that doesn't mean I'd be up for the ride myself.

[Max's POV]

Sitting with my friends that evening should have been as relaxing as it was every time and yet my chest felt tight, I was anxious, that need would not settle. Every so often I thought of him, the unnamed boy from the night before, he entered my head and wouldn't leave, that dark skin against mine, the way he had gripped my arms and held me down with such aggressive power it should have frightened me and yet I just wanted more, more of something I should never have indulged in, in the first place.

Was this the way it was for all who partook in such activity? One night stands, were they all so good?

I licked my lips, setting my wine aside.

Alcohol would not improve my apparent lack of inhibitions as of late.

My old school friend, Jeffrey, peered at me as the others continued to converse.

"Are you alright my friend?"

I felt a little peaky and flushed and looked up nervously. "Just fine, just fine."

"You've barely touched your food. Perhaps you'd rather something else?"

I shook my head. "I'm quite alright Jeffrey. Just... a little tired."

He nodded.

"You haven't touched your risotto." I remarked, gesturing towards it.

He smiled thinly. "It arrived cold. I've not much of an appetite anyway."

I tutted. "You should return it."

He hummed, turning his fork in the cold risotto. "Speaking of things you'd like to return. How did it go with your father?"

"No luck." I shook my head. "He's irate, with good reason I suppose, in his mind. I suppose running off at the alter wasn't the best move."

He scoffed, sipping at his wine. "It was a far better move than allowing him to drag you into anything. I shudder to think what might have become of you Mr Henderson." He said in mock dramatics.

I shook my head in annoyance. "If we had wedded I would have had no responsibility to change my name to the ladies last name, don't be so ridiculous."

"If you say so Maxwell..." Jeffrey drawling.

I sniffed, tapping the table. "In any case it was the timing, I meant, that was off."

He nodded. "That was indeed unfortunate. Had your father been organised enough to bring a shotgun to the occasion I'm sure the day would have proceeded a lot smoother."

"He wasn't forcing me." I insisted.

"He was." He disagreed. "You are willingly blind."

"I am not."