Chapter Twenty Three

[Reed's POV]

"Pick up, pick up..." I groaned at the phone. I needed the absolute dick to answer his text messages now if he wasn't going to at least pick up the damn phone.

I called again but suddenly an answer mail came and I knew his phone had lost battery. He never switched it off and he rarely charged it.

This wasn't my problem dammit! Why was I getting dragged into this...

Kat would get home from work soon, she was a nurse at a hospital roughly forty minutes from here. She didn't have a clue what was going on and I couldn't tell her now with that creep looking over my shoulder.

"No reply?" Came the casual rumble from my king bed where Bazile leaned back against the headboard, legs crossed and shoes still on.

Even being around him felt wrong, felt uncomfortable, like he might just stand up and rip out my throat if I moved wrong. It wasn't my fault the absolute bastard wasn't picking up!

I turned around slowly, sweating, feeling pale. "He doesn't live here." I tried again.

He smiled. It was really more of a smirk, I'd never seen him genuinely smile before, his eyes looked annoyed.

"He hasn't gone back to his flat, so where else could he go?" He cocked his head.

I swallowed, trying not to think about the mate Lowell had just picked up, that he was trying his best to get used to him before he threw the whole werewolf, soulmate, runaway with me shit at him.

The timer had officially run up.

Faster than either of us ever thought it would.

I tried to breath even breaths. "I don't know." I spoke quietly.

"You're lying."

I shook my head.

He folded his hands on his stomach, looking at me with that smirk that looked almost blood-thirsty.

"Pops wants to talk to him..." He mused. "So I've been sent to fetch him."

I pursed my lips.

"You can talk." He gave me the permission that made me cringe.

Fucking condescending prick.

"With all due respect, Alpha, the last time you two met you nearly killed him, you tried your best anyway, I don't see why you're the best candidate to go get him..."

"Because you did such a good job looking after him huh." He replied immediately, darkly, turning an accusing gaze on me as he suddenly got up, swinging his legs over the side of the bed, hands folding in his lap once again. I was sweating from anxiety. He cocked his head. "We haven't had your report since eight months ago. Slacking, Reed? That's the kind of work ethic that leads to people going mysteriously missing."

My lips were in a thin line as I watched him, my hands clammy as I stuck them in my jean pockets. "I told you I wouldn't do it." 

"I told you I didn't care if you did or didn't, but my dad's the one that gives a shit. And he's not as nice as me."

His dad, Alpha Griffith, was the real ruler of the pack. Bazile liked to think he was in charge the moment he got promoted but he still acted as a kind of apprentice to his father who was the only one who really had the ability to rule the pack.

Why?

Because Bazile was largely unlikeable. The Lowland Pack was one of the largest packs in the London, with enough wealth to own their own cordoned off forest, training compound and central house, they had to have someone who was responsible in charge, in more ways than having an aura that forced one to listen, look and obey. Bazile was only good for intimidation, and his dad knew that.