Chapter Fifty

I'd never used my phone quite as much as I had during the past few days, trying to arrange time off while away from work was surprisingly difficult. Being that I could not call at appropriate hours I ended up leaving voicemails and replying to voicemails, texting back and forth. 

So in addition to finally being able to assure everyone at work I was still a functioning adult who could come in and make a dent into their ever growing work load, there was something particularly refreshing about taking a long shower and shaving and coming out without that strange heat tickling my skin. It had been such a constant that I'd almost forgot a time without it. 

I breathed a sigh of relief as I opened the door, fully dressed, and left with Lowell close behind me.

"I cannot lie, it'll be good to leave..." I exhaled. "I imagine I have a lot of work to do."

"Right," Lowell replied. "Sorry about that."

"Don't worry." I glanced back at him. "I have a good job, understanding boss."

"He wasn't mad at you?"

I shook my head. "You'll like him, he's a good friend. He's also gay, he doesn't take anything too seriously."

Lowell raised an eyebrow slightly, following more closely. "Right, is that so?"

I continued, "You ought to meet them all..." The idea brought a smile to my lips. The image of Lowell meeting me after work, maybe with lunch, or to go to lunch, seeing his face every day, and somehow I knew I could never get sick of just staring at him. It would feel good I was sure of that.

"I guess I should." There was something strange in his tone.

"Him and the three women in my department took part in the Christmas calendar. He used to model so he put it together rather professionally. It's meant to be funny. I only have one photo in there. He convinced me..."

"Hmm," He  hummed, narrowing an eye. "Sounds like a great guy."

"He is," I smiled, glad he seemed interested in meeting the, I knew they'd be excited to meet him. I'd never introduced anyone to them before despite them asking constantly.

But it was the minute we were heading down the stairs and there were other people around that I realised just how weird it was to move around freely in this house, and with Lowell walking behind me, there was a stubborn attention on us that was definitely unnerving.

I walked down and saw the first few heads perk up, and then a few more, people passing through the hallway from the dining room were hovering near to peek at us while we moved. There was a bit of a hush as we headed down, the place getting quieter.

"Okay..." I breathed out uneasily.

"Keep moving..." Lowell mumbled behind me.

I couldn't help but stare back at him. "They're staring at you..." I muttered.

"Yeah... I noticed that."

There were some children around too but even they were warily watching from behind their parents, around twenty five people possibly, watching us, big eyes on Lowell mainly, as we headed down. A few of them looked keen to strike up a conversation but held back. It definitely gave off certain cultish vibes to a person such as myself who was not raised in this odd environment.

"Are you going to be alright staying here?" I asked him under my breath as we moved.

Lowell nodded and replied quietly. "I'll be fine, just hurry."

"In a rush to get rid of me?" I glanced back at him with a slight grin, but the slight nervousness his anxiety imbued on me made it seem less playful as I approached the door.