Chapter Thirty

[Reed's POV]

"They've got his location?" Bazile asked his father outside.

I could hear them through the walls, talking before they were about to enter.

"So we don't need him anymore."

My heart rate spiked.  Likely situation was they didn't realise a half werewolf had better hearing at all, and they assumed I was as deaf as a human. But even so this probably wasn't fair enough warning for me to make any kind of useful run for it, especially not with Kasius sitting there, slowly dozing off in front of me.

Griffith's voice replied. "We need him in case Lowell acts up. He's been rogue for long enough to pick up bad habits."

"We can just say we got him, dispose of him somewhere on the property." Bazile grumbled. "How long will it take to get that little bitch here anyway."

"Be quiet." He hissed sharply enough that even I felt like swallowing my own words. "They're surrounding him right now, he'll be captured by the end of today." He paused to answer his phone and mumbled a short reply, followed by a loud hum. "Come back to the office, move." He ordered his son, to my utmost relief.

The two, no, three men, someone else who was silent following with them, moved away from the door and back down the hallway.

I sat on the bed and felt white as a sheet.

I needed to get out of here now. Or at least give Lowell fair warning, enough for him to make a run for it in time.

[Max's POV]

My chest was vibrating with anxiety as I followed my friend who walked calmly away from booth, knowing I was now risking leaving Lowell alone with Weston. I needed to return fast, needed to stop Weston from saying anything else to him, but angry as I was I couldn't remain quiet any longer.

James turned to me just as we reached the men's room in the more dimly lit corridor a good distance from the booth we were sitting in and nodded at me. 

"Go on," He told me, "You wanted to talk to me."

I was more relieved to hear James knew what I was angling towards by following him than anything. The prospect of standing side by side at the urinals together in silence before trying to engage the subject over handwashing seemed immensely uncomfortable. But this was the last straw.

Honestly I didn't know Weston well enough anymore, perhaps he was a wholly different person, I certainly never saw him behave the way he did tonight in the past.

But I wanted Lowell to like my friends, I wasn't sure why I was so possessed with the idea, Lowell probably found them unrelatable and boring, which I privately felt he would likely think of me if he wasn't so preoccupied with... with examining a more profligate side to me..

Ultimately I knew it didn't matter but he'd gotten off on the wrong foot with Jeffrey over his odd possessive traits and I thought him knowing my friends were accepting and welcoming would somehow... I don't know exactly... bring him closer in a strange way.

Instead Weston, a man I had only seen twice before tonight in ten years, had managed to zero in on him and sneer at me.

The worst of it was knowing that I still knew what he was thinking, knew what he was insinuating, that he at least felt like he knew me well enough to judge Lowell on my behalf.