The first steps...

Year 850

Age 14

(Y/n's P.O.V)

How could this happen? This was supposed to be an easy training exercise to deliver a message, we weren't even allowed to rush, now it's a nightmare. 

When we got to a heavy forest these bandits came in the middle of the night while we were sleeping to steal our Odm gear. Eren tried to get everyone to fight but they clubbed him across the cheek with their muskets and nearly shot Jean when he made the slightest move against them.

As incentive that the others wouldn't follow, they scattered our horses, took Christa and I hostage, bounded our hands and loaded us into one of their carriages, insisting they'd let us go after they got far enough from our squad. Like we're supposed to trust the word of a bandit. That happened about three hours ago.

After hearing the drivers debate over something I couldn't make out. The carriage split from the main caravan and onto the side road, next thing I know we're being ordered out and taken in different directions. Christa gave me a reassuring look silently trying to tell me it'll all be alright. 

I'm scared. I'm really scared. I haven't been this scared since my village. I've been this way since the bandits showed up. That's why I didn't fight with Eren. Maybe they wouldn't have taken us if I tried to stop them. There's no time to think about that! If we fought instead of being kidnapped we'd probably be dead in a ditch somewhere.

"On your knees against that tree." The captor ordered. I want to fight back, I want to break out of these ropes, punch this guy in face and save Christa. But I can't my body won't let me do anything, I feel my hands trembling together and these ropes are so tight.

I pressed my back against the tree and kneeled down as instructed without so much as talking back. Coward. Coward. Coward.

This guy doesn't look any bigger then me, maybe a little taller but physically he's dangerously skinny. I know I can beat him in hand to hand but I need to get out!

Get out. Using this new single goal to my advantage, my hands actually start listening to me again and feel for anything to use. I can't tell because of his hood but I don't think he's looking directly at me rather looking behind to ensure no ones followed.

Soon my hand gets poked by what I can only assume to be a pointy piece of tree bark. Chiseling like this will take forever at this rate, my hands are still shaking and if go too fast he'll notice.

In the distance I hear murmuring from the other bandits. There's no way of telling what they're saying exactly but what I can make out doesn't sound good. 'Kill, dispose, sell.'

Suddenly Christa started screaming, like actually screaming, I've never heard such a horror inducing plea before and the fact that it came from Christa made the situation much worse. "No please! Please don't kill him!" Her voice rang throughout the forest.

"Shut your fucking mouth!" He must've hit Christa in the stomach cause I heard a thud then a lot of coughing.

Kill me?

What did I do? 

Why? 

Don't kill me.

I don't want to die. 

Not yet. 

I want to go home. 

Mother, father, uncle, Angela. I never got to avenge you. I'm no closer to that then I was 5 years ago. 

I'm a failure.

My movements get more drastic and frantic against the sharp piece. I don't know how I'll break it in time. It's getting pretty hard to see, my visions getting all watery. Did it start to rain?