xxxi. family

Sleep lacked on Elena, she didn't sleep at all, all she did was cry or stare at her pictures where her mother held her

Sleep lacked on Elena, she didn't sleep at all, all she did was cry or stare at her pictures where her mother held her. She didn't have any energy to leave her room or even move from her bed, everything was surrounding her, making it impossible for Elena to get out of bed without causing any type of mess.

"Mi niña, come and join us for breakfast, please?" Ernesto entered his daughter's room, he didn't sleep either, she could see that from the bags underneath his eyes, she could also see he cried too, his face even looked a little bit swollen.

"I'll be there in a minute." Elena whispered, her father left her room returning to the kitchen area. Elena sighed, letting her head fall to her hands, leaning forward in her mattress, she could feel the tears building up again, but this time, she wasn't going to cry, she didn't want to cry again.

With a deep breath in, she focused on faking a smile, cleaning her face as she wiped the single tear that left her eye. Melissa sat in the couch, she rested peacefully, her father didn't want to wake her up and neither did Elena, they wanted to give her that time. Melissa had always been the closest to her mother, Elena couldn't imagine the pain she was under, Elena was daddy's girl, Melissa was mama's girls, that is how they gotten along.

"Breakfast is ready, I'll be heading out today so I can start planning the funeral for mom, Eric will be with me, I think that his girlfriend will come and stay with you girls. So, be nice to her, and tell your sister that I am going to be late." Ernesto walked over to the dining table, hugging his daughter gently over her shoulders.

"We'll be okay dad, I'll call you in case of an emergency, I'll use the house phone." Elena looked up at her father, trying to give her most convincing smile. "We'll be okay dad, I promise." Elena gave him a slight nod, she knew things had to be taken care of, and how important it was for Melissa to be looked after.

Ernesto Herrera left his home, waved her daughter goodbye again, Elena imagined he would be picking up Uncle Eric. The brunette stood up and followed along, just to give another wave goodbye to her father. As she leaned against the open door she saw Kie's car parked in front of JJ's house, her father had driven off already, curious about it and relieved that her friend was safe, she jogged towards the vehicle, waving at the brunette back.

"El, oh god you're okay." Kiara said as she got out of the car, that she noticed had some damages in it. "The things you've missed yesterday," Kie pulled her friend into her arms, "John B is wanted by the police and he had to hide somewhere."

"Yeah, I saw the bounty thing they put on him, that's really disgusting." Being pulled back Elena saw how the facial expression from Kiara changed from a sort of relief to worry.

"Elena, are you okay? You're eyes are swollen, like you've cried."

"I am far from okay Kie," Elena looked down, her right foot tapping rapidly inside her shoe. "My mom died last night, and I don't know what to do now, I'm scared." The warmth of Kie's arm wrapped her body, Elena hugged back with her arms around her waist letting herself cry again. "Please don't tell them Kie, I don't want them to worry about me right now." Elena let out the broken voice as she cried, she really needed this hug, she needed her friends, but she knew they had other things to worry about, specially John B who needed to be safe.