iv.

★彡[ ᴍᴀʏ ɪ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴛʜɪꜱ ᴅᴀɴᴄᴇ, ᴍ'ʟᴀᴅʏ ]彡★

Yelena crossed her arms, her sapphire eyes were fixated on the tv screen in the hotel room they were staying at. "A gala event, really?" 

"Yep. And I found ourselves outfits to wear at the event," Lia stated, showing her a beautiful silk navy dress.

"I am not wearing that," Yelena stared at the dress in a somewhat disgust expression. "How do you get to wear a pantsuit and I'm stuck wearing this?"

"Because you lost in the rock paper scissors battle, duh. Or did you forget?" Lia questioned, a triumphant smirk on her face.

Yelena grumbled a few profanities under her breath, snatching the dress out of the Lia's hand and headed towards the bathroom to change but not before kicking the nephilim's shin roughly, making Lia yelp in pain.

A few hours later, the two stood against a countertop, glancing around the hundreds of couples, all dressed in expensive clothing and dancing the night away to the music that echoed through the air while many others stood around the corner, chatting away pleasantly.

The blonde was reluctantly dressed in the navy silk dress that hung comfortably around her body, her hair was twirled into beautiful waves. Lia was dressed in a sharp-looking and well-fitted midnight black pantsuit, her long dark hair falling perfectly in a messy style.

Yelena sipped on her drink while Lia drummed her hand lazily against the table in slight boredom, both unable to find any leads yet. A slower song suddenly began to play and Lia got an idea.

She held a hand out to Yelena, gesturing towards the stage. "May I have this dance, m'lady."

The blonde stared blankly at Lia for a few seconds before folding her arms over her chest. "No."

Lia grinned. "Come on. It'll help blend in. You must know how to dance. If you don't, then what kind of school did you go to?" 

"You know exactly what kind of school I went to," Yelena reminded her, glaring at the dark-haired female. 

"I do," Lia replied, a warm smile plastered across her lips. "Dance with me. The earth is spinning, we can't just stand on it." 

"Poetic much," Yelena deadpanned, yet she somehow felt her heart slightly flutter.

She stared at her for a few seconds before glancing at her tan hand. The blonde let out a sigh before reluctantly accepting her hand. 

"I'm only doing this for any leads," Yelena stated, staring at her hard. "Don't get any ideas, Herondale."

Lia grinned, acting innocent. "Hm. Sure."

The dark-haired female grabbed Yelena's hand firmly, leading her to the stage as the two begun to waltz, spinning in circles and shuffling their feet to the slow, rhythmic music that echoed through the air, blending in with the other couples. 

Their paces quickened as the music changed, the two skilfully keeping up with each other's quick, flowing steps. They both were alert, scanning the floor ahead of them, keeping an eye on the rest of the couples and everyone else around them, yet constantly aware of what was happening right in their arms at the same time.

The music suddenly changed its pace again, though this time, it was a very slow and relaxing song. Lia smirked at Yelena slightly, pulled the blonde's body closer to hers who glared at her but didn't push her away while the dark-haired female's smile only grew. 

The two danced together, their bodies close, with the nephilim's hand still grasping the blonde's. They both turned elegantly, their body in tune with the slow music. Yet, there was a sort of harshness to it, like they were someone who shouldn't be underestimated. 

The warmth between the two grew more powerful by the second. In that moment, their steps and heartbeats were perfectly in sync, their gazes locked. Entrancing sapphire eyes met charming hazel-brown eyes, ones that glowed an entrancing golden shade under the light.

It somehow reminded Yelena of the warmth of an everlasting hearth, as if they were the wood that could burn with golden flames yet be forever perfectly entire. While to Lia, Yelena's eyes reminded her of the ocean, gentle but constantly rough and unpredictable at the same time.

It felt perfect.

The two of them continued to sway to the music and Lia found herself enjoying every single moment of it. She didn't know what had gotten into her when it came to Yelena, but she kept hoping that she hadn't broken the one rule that she had made. 

Don't get close with anyone. 

Because she knew if she did, she'd lose that person like everyone else she had loved. It would break her apart more than she'd already have been. And she didn't want to lose anyone else, especially not Yelena.

The song felt like it lasted forever, yet neither of them were tired from it. The sound of the music went even slower, the lights slowly fading. The dark-haired female leaned forward towards Yelena's ear and the blonde could feel Lia's hot breath on her neck, causing a shiver to run down her spine.

"On your six," Lia whispered. "Second floor. They're exchanging suitcases." 

They twirled around, and Yelena's eyes were fixated in that direction, noticing a group of men in black suits, before nodding slightly at Lia. The two let go of their firm grip and disappeared into the crowd of people.

Lia subtly tried to make her way towards the second floor without getting caught or seen, a slight smile forming on her face which disappeared as quickly as it appeared. She wouldn't let the dance or this mission mean anything to her.

She couldn't.