06 ; TWO YEARS TIME

JENNIE'S POV.

I wake up at 6:00 AM in the morning.

Gosh, did I have a rough sleep last night.

I sit down and grab my phone from my night stand. I quickly opened my social media to check what's the latest news.

Meh, there's nothing.

I close my phone and place it back to where it was before I stretched my arms out, yawning.

I look out my window and see all the cars honking at each other. And all the buildings that were stuck by each other.

Life at the city is... different.

It wasn't like the province and it made chills go down my spine.

Need some filling in? Here.

FLASHBACK 2 YEARS AGO.

As me and my parents got off the car, we look up and we are met by a thick atmosphere, honking vehicles and buzzing noises coming from advance technological phone devices.

"What is this place?" I murmur, holding my mom's arm tight.

Olive barks from inside the car, mom quickly lets go off my hand and grabs Olive. "Olive, look boy, we're in the city!" She said in a baby-like voice.

"Well, this is it," my dad said as he took out our luggage from the cab trunk.

I smile and ask my mom if I can look around on my own— you know, a little stroll. She agreed but wanted me to go to the apartment after. She gave me a piece of paper with the apartment address on it.

I nod and gave Olive one last pat before I strolled around the big city.

There were unfamiliar shops all around such as Gucci and big buildings filled with food stalls.

This was definitely something new.

I smile and get excited as I reach a small street shop on the side of the road.

"Hi, darling, what can I get you?" The lady that owns it welcomes me.

I smile and look at the piece of paper she handed me. "We sell fishballs and soft drinks," I read aloud.

She smiles and points towards her boiling fishballs.

I smile and ask for one cup of fishballs, along with a soda.

She nods and gives me what I ordered. She gives me a plastic cup filled with fishballs and sauce, along with a stick to poke and eat it with. And soda in a plastic bag, along with a straw.

Just as I reach for my wallet in my pocket, she stops me.

"It's on the house, sweetie," she said.

"Oh, thank you!" I said, walking beside her to make way for new customers. I take a sip of the soda and a bite of a fishball. This was truly my province food, though it's sold in the city, huh.

"Are you new to the city?" She asks, giving a man a cup of fishballs.

I nod. "Yes. Just moved in today. I'm not sure if I'll stay. I'm from the province, by the way," I say, trying not to get carried away and share my whole life story.

"I see," the lady said, wiping her hands with tissue paper. "You'll like it here in the city."

I smile, assuring her I'm listening.

"But," the lady paused before continuing, "It's problematic. Lots of pollution and government problems," she said, sighing.

I nod. Pollution? I can't believe city people are careless.

"It's not that we are careless," the lady said, like she was reading my mind. "It's just that people are too focused with their gadgets or rich lives that they hardly care for the environment they live in."

"Well the government can always change that," I said, taking another sip of soda.

"Oh, darling," she continued. "The government doesn't give a crap about us. They only care about money and the position they're at."

"Really? Damn," I said, suddenly feeling sad.

"But," the lady said, noticing my sad expression. "Some city people still care. Just barely. But the city is really beautiful."

I nod. "I'll best be going now," I said.

"Well of course. Stay safe in the city, darling," the lady said, giving me a sincere smile.

I smile back and walk into the buzzing city.

Shops everywhere, kids running, parents chatting, friends laughing. It seemed so fun here. But after what the lady said I guess the city isn't all colors and rainbows.

I sigh and walk into a shop called Starbucks.

I enter and the smell of coffee welcome me.

"Hello, welcome to Starbucks!"

END OF FLASHBACK.

I sigh and get out of bed, opening my closet and choosing an outfit for the day.

Ever since we moved in, my dad did a good job at his work and we eventually got enough money for our own house.

It wasn't big, but definitely better than the one we had before.

I choose a plain white t-shirt along with a yellow, silk jacket. I added black jeans along with it and my white boots.

I made a couple friends over the course of 2 years. They're my neighbors, and we go to the same school, Eastern Rise Academy.

They say the school name resembles the rise of the students to become the nation's next leaders, lawyers, doctors, and so much more.

I don't know what I wanna be because back at the province I wanted to expand my parent's farm. But now, that's no use.

Today is the first day of summer break, my school ended yesterday and honestly I feel so relieved. My friends wanted to go shopping today so I guess I better hurry and dress up.

Life at the city is different, no doubt. And if I ever got the chance to go back into the pass and choose again whether I join my parents to go to the city or stay at the province; I'll choose to stay at the province. I miss so much things from there and it makes me sad most times.

But what do I miss most? Them.

My friends.