44. Yet, here you are

Rylan let out a loud sigh as she leaned forward in the driver's seat as if that would help to make the view easier. Unfortunately, throughout our late evening drive, thick snow decided to join our trip back home. 

"Rylan, we should stop and book a room," I said, but she shook her head right away. 

"You can't see anything," I rolled my eyes as I indicated at the front window. Rylan ignored me as she remained silent. 

"Rylan," I complained as she didn't answer me. Instead, she clenched her jaw as she eventually pulled over to a hotel. 

"Book a room and I'll park the car," She said. With a nod, I leaped out of the car and pulled the hoodie over my head. When I finally entered the double door, I searched around the crowd for the check-in. But then realized that the entire sea of unfamiliar faces is the line. We are not the only ones who thought it was a good idea to tuck in for the day. Is this the only hotel in town or what? 

Slowly but steadily, the line keeps on declining. However, worry in me is increasing as Rylan hasn't arrived by my side yet. Silence is starting to ascend as people keep on disappearing to their rooms. Finally, squeaking shoes behind me stole my attention and a dripping wet Rylan came to my side. Tired and annoyed blue eyes stared at me helplessly. 

"Where is my suitcase?"I asked lightly, not to trigger her annoyance.

"I couldn't reach for it," She frowned as she pushed a few wet, blond hair strands from her face.

"What do you mean?" I asked, confused and took a step forward as it was almost our turn. 

"The parking was tight and I couldn't get into the trunk, but I managed to get my bag," She explained. I let out a sigh as I nodded and faced forward. So far, the drive home has been nothing but a nightmare. Why did I think that coming along with Rylan to her family in the first place was a good idea? I turned back to look at her and she met my gaze. I bit my lip and faced forward again. Because clearly, Hadley, you are in love with her, you fool. 

After checking in and finding our room, I sat on my bed and rubbed my forehead. Rylan pulled off her soaked jacket and shoes. I only dared to ask for one room, but with two beds. It would have been a waste to have a room for each of us when we don't have an issue with sharing. 

Rylan removed a few clothes from her bag and disappeared into the bathroom. It didn't take long until I could hear the water running. She appeared cold, even though she denied it in the elevator. Yet, I noticed that she was trembling a bit.

I brought off my shoes and socks. Then, crinkling my nose, I stared down at my clothes as I wished I had my suitcase. But, again, I don't blame Rylan. The parking space must have been twice as crowded as it was in the lobby. 

My gaze darted over to Rylan's bag and It's not a good idea, Hadley. There is no way I'm sleeping in my wet jeans and shirt tonight. Neither is being naked an option. My eyes widened with fright as that thought passed through my mind. 

I kept fighting back and forth with myself on what to do. I ended up opening Rylan's bag for a shirt and pants. I snatched a green t-shirt and dark gray sweatpants. And I changed into them in a hurry with my heart in my throat. I managed to get them on just as the bathroom door opened. 

Rylan stepped out the door but stopped abruptly the second she saw me. Her gaze went up and down and I looked at myself self-consciously. The pants and t-shirt are way too long for me. 

"I should probably have asked first, but I was cold and," I stopped my rambling as Rylan stepped in front of me. 

"And they smell like you," Slipped out of me and I placed my hand over my mouth. My cheeks heated up with an unbearable warmth. Rylan narrowed her eyes and startled me with her hands holding onto my waist. She gripped the t-shirt tightly in her hands. Then, never breaking eye contact, she pulled it up slowly. Unsurely I raised my arms and she slipped the shirt over my head.