Chapter 8 - This isn't a Science Project?

(Y/n) - Your Name

(L/n) - Your Last Name

_________________________________

Running footsteps echoed down the hallway of empty corridors in the once-bustling school. The hallways collected a dusty orange from the setting sun and grew quiet through the corridors. Till suddenly three shadowed figures ran past, their silhouettes stretching down the school's hallways.

"Miss (L/n)!" The voice of a familiar bright student came running in, with a quite exhausted Toby searching for his inhaler and close behind and an unfamiliar student she has yet to be introduced to.

"Hello Jim the troll hunter," You joked before walking toward Toby and calming his asthma by rubbing his back calmly. You searched for his inhaler finding it fallen outside the hallway, grabbing it and passing it to him quickly. You look towards Jim and then towards the girl standing beside him. "Oh, um, I know that we promised not to bring anyone else but-"

"My name is Claire Nunez" she interrupted his sentence holding out her hand. You smiled and gladly shook it.

"It is very nice to finally meet you, Claire, Do you mind if I call you that?" You smiled in response to the independent female. "I'm assuming you two know about Jim's Trollhunting life?". They all nodded in agreement.

"Say, Miss, how great are you at your magic so far?" Jim worries.

"Um, I can't control it? but what does that need to deal with your science experiment?" Suddenly, a shuddering echo of a fourth person stomped heavily down the hallway towards the students and yourself.  "Trollhunter." growled a viscous stone-cold creature. Sharp scrapping of scrap metal could be heard being dragged outside the classroom.

"Alright, Quickly kids, that does not sound too friendly," you quickly and quietly open the window, getting each kid to leave quickly but quietly out using the window. Slightly pushing Toby out when the creature's stone-like horns cornered the doorway, the sun now hiding in the shadows no longer illuminating the rich, orange, burning light that graced the earth earlier that summer day. As it set behind the horizon, you also jump and hide behind the wall under the window with the other. Even without the monster's beady eyes to look over them, its hulking breath huffed into the classroom. Noticing there was no one hiding inside, it continued to walk in long slow movements down the hallway, and after holding onto our breaths for dear life, the sharp-edged long sword soon disappeared down the hall and past the classroom doorway.

"Alright Jim Lake, Toby Domzalski and Claire Nunez, if that troll destroys the school it will be your detentions helping to clean the damage to my classroom!" You angrily whisper before rushing and running to the only place you thought of going, "Follow me you three."

"Where are we going anyway!" Called Toby.

"Well first away from whatever you brought to me, you know Mr Lake," you laughed at your own stupidity, "When I thought you meant a science experiment I wasn't meaning bringing your own problems to your school! There could have been thousands of kids and adults stuck there." You worried for the poor security guard that was going to be arriving soon.

"Sorry Miss Nunez, I'm afraid I didn't introduce myself," you stopped in front of a cross-work holding out your hand for the young lady, the city lights started to slowly light up with the midnight sky with the resting sun. "I'm (Y/N) (L/N), both a Teacher and Sorceress....or Wizard??.... Witch?" Amidst your own questioning of the title, the hand that you outstretched was clasped in a tight, stronghold and shaken with respect. "It is nice to meet you, Miss. I love your way of teaching." You blushed from this comment, "Oh it's nothing but a few years of severe university dept and a questioning how I returned from the school I graduated from, no biggy really."

You start on your walk again as you find yourself outside the bookstore. You invite them in and call, "Douxie!". Just then pops out ahead, "Yes? Ah (Y/n)!". He rushed over to hug you. You turn around before he could do so however and you look to the kids. "If it isn't the Arcadian heroes in the blood!" He yells looking over your shoulder.

"Say, do you reckon you know where Merlin is?"

"Oh, why would you bring up Merlin?"

"These kids have what I believe is an angry troll after them and they had wondered for a while about him?" You shrugged.

"Why would you bring them here then! Ahhh, you losing your memories is the worst sometimes," he rubs his brows with his thinger and thumb. You felt a pang of guilt and unexpectantly hold his hand which made him jump a bit unexpectantly in return. He held your hand awkwardly for a moment before smiling and squeezing for a short moment. The smile seemed, in that short moment, to fill you with a comfortable unknowable warmth, as if you were missing that exact smile to grace your presence. As the kids were looking around the library, "Hey! I found something," Jim retorted and in the brief moment, you and Hisirdoux released your hands and shyly reconciled with your surroundings. Hisirdoux couldn't help but feel the same spark he felt when your hands touched. A spark in him he thought that died with her in that unfortunate chapter of their lives.

"Ah, we have a scary troll after us that may be the only merlin could destroy so can we get those plans?" Toby burst as he started bighting his nails in his braced teeth. "Okay, I'll help, but (Y/n) can't go, it's too dangerous for you to go just yet. We haven't gotten control of your powers," he looked at me apologetically before I simply nodded in complete understanding.

"This will be a journey you and your friends will have to do alone Jim" you worriedly looked at the teenagers before you and Douxie. "Please be safe" Douxie said handing him a piece of parchment from the book they found that should lead him directly to merlin. "We will," they all chanted before douxie teleported them to Trolls Village.

____________________________________________________________________

842 Words

(Edited 3/6/22)