Chapter 3

-Rhysand's POV-

I watched as her eyes closed and her magic dissipated. This child wanted to end it all and that broke my heart.

I knew what she was, who she was, but I couldn't tell anyone, not without them wanting to kill her, appart from my family.

"Rhys what happened?" Mor's voice said from behind me, they had all left when her magic flared.

"She wants to end her life," I whispered.

"Why, she is so young!" She cried.

"I know Mor, that's why I'm taking her to Velaris." I said, cradling the girl, whose name I still didn't know, to my chest.

-Selene's POV-

My eyes fluttered open, and I was met with a cream celling. My body was sore, like I had just been crushed.

I let out a low groan as I pushed myself upright, where was I now?

"Easy, you over did it with your magic," Rhys's voice said from next to me.

I snapped my eyes to him and saw that he was sat on an armchair near the bed, looking like he hadn't slept in days.

"You read my mind," I whispered.

"I didn't mean to, I try to keep inner thoughts out, but I let my wall slip, I'm sorry if it was an intrusion." He said gently.

Well that wasn't quite what I was expecting him to say. I suddenly dawned on me who this was.

"Shit, you're the High Lord," I breathed.

"That I am, but you will find I'm not quite what the rumours depict," he told me, looking amused.

"I can't believe I yelled at the High Lord of the Night Court," I muttered, putting my head in my hands.

"I'm glad you did, now could you tell me your name," he was grinning.

"Oh, Selene," I replied, blushing a little.

"It's nice to meet someone who doesn't run in the other direction because of my presence, but I do have some things to talk to you about," he replied, the light in his eyes dying a little.

"Let me guess, you are sending me back to the Summer Court on the High Lord's orders and I will be left to whore my body off on the streets or Adriata to earn enough to live," I mused, sighing at the end.

"That is literally the opposite of what I was going to say," he replied, looking shocked.

"Oh," I whispered, looking down.

"I need you to promise me that you will not say a word about what I am going to tell you to a soul outside my court," he told me, he spoke with such seriousness that I knew he wasn't messing around.

"We could make a bargain," I offered.

"A bargain would give you a tattoo," he warned.

"Ok, just make it small please," I said, holding my hand out.

"If you swear to never tell a soul, bar the people who already know, then I will tell you about the greatest secret in the court, deal?" He said.

"Deal," I replied.

"Then it is a bargain." He said with a smirk.

There was a slight tingle at the base of my spine, and I put a hand to it.

"Right, there is a city in my court called Velaris, a place of peace, trade, learning and art. We are currently in my more formal home in the city, the House of Wind, but I own a townhouse as well," he explained.

My eyes went wide.

"Can I see it?" I asked, he gestured to the closed curtains.

I stood on surprisingly steady legs and walked over. Opening the curtains a little and staring out over the glistening city.

"It's stunning," I breathed.

"There are some clothes in the wardrobe, pick whatever you like, we are pretty chill on dress codes here, but Mor was going to come in half an hour if you want to bathe until then." He said with a soft smile.

"Why are you doing this for me?" I breathed.

"You are a part of my court Selene, I know you don't want to be, but you are, and as such you have my protection," he told me, stars coming to life in his eyes.

"Why does my magic like you?" I asked quietly.

"That is a long story, and one that I will tell when you look a little less dead," he replied, taking me in.

"You don't look much better," I retorted, stiffening when I realised what I said.

He tipped his head back and laughed, he laughed so hard that he was gasping for air by the end.

"Cassian is going to love you," he explained when I raised my brow before he waved a hand in the direction of the bathing room and walking out.