Chapter 4

I bathed quickly, even going as far as washing out my ridiculously long hair, before I got out and wrapped myself in a towel.

The bath emptied automatically, and I sighed, turning to the sink and filling it instead.

I began to form the water into various things, animals first, just so I could get back into the water after that darkness.

Once I felt comfortable using my magic again, I began to make my mother's face, drawing more water out until I made her whole body.

"You know if I could make you talk life would be a whole lot easier," I sighed.

I made the water version of my mother walk around.

"When you came to the Night Court did you really get lost in the Steeps, or did you end up in Velaris, I saw the tattoo at the base of your spine, I have one now as well, you never told me why you got it, but I understand now, you made the same bargain I did. I wish we could have seen this place together. The city is stunning and there is a river running though it that I know you would have loved." I opened my mouth to carry on when the door burst open.

I span around to see Azriel stood there. He looked beyond angry, and his gaze made me shrink back, the only thing keeping me from hitting the wall was my water sculpture.

"You want to sell our secrets out?" He snarled at me.

I just stared at him, eyes wide. This was the side of the Illyrians that my mother warned me of.

I sank to the floor. My water sculpture dissipating and swirling around me, protecting me. I began to sob, I was beyond terrified.

"Selene!" Mor's voice yelled through the pounding water.

I risked looking up and saw her knelt the other side of my barrier, nothing but worry on her face.

The water began to slow until it was as still as the unbroken surface of a lake. That was when I realised there were tears in Mor's eyes.

I broke the water shield, drawing it away from where it shielded me from her and pulling it behind me unto one large bubble.

She slowly reached her hand out and I took it, letting her pull me to my feet.

She took a small step forwards, taking my face gently in her hands.

"Are you ok?" She asked me gently.

"I- yes, I think so," I whispered.

I let the water drain into the bathtub, a little upset over its lack of comfort.

"Come on, let's get you dressed," she told me with a small smile, and I realised I was still tightly wrapped in a towel.

I sat at the vanity as Mor pulled out some clothes for me.

Once she had she walked back over and began running a brush though my hair. Once it was tangle free, she began to split it into sections.

"Wait, would it be easier dry?" I asked.

"It would, but-" she began.

I cut her off by pulling the water from my hair, flicking a little at her playfully before sending the rest into the bathing room.

"You little monkey," she teased.

"You said it would be easier dry," I said, and she grinned.

She braided my hair into one long plait that ran down my back before leaving me to change.

I pulled on the soft crème jumper and black leggings before opening the door to the hall.

"Beautiful," Mor complimented before taking my hand and leading me down what felt like endless corridors.