Chapter 5: Why You're Disliked

Despite the recent disaster that left Nube City with questions and worries, people continued to go about their daily lives. Efforts from numerous Public Works departments helped restore the western end of the city overnight. The city had enjoyed so many years of peace that workers grew bored of only addressing technical difficulties or scheduled maintenance checks. An opportunity to rebuild and refurbish structures brought excitement to their otherwise humdrum lives. Some workers whispered their gratitude to the gods for giving them this euphoric boost.

Citizens experienced this same euphoric boost. Footsteps from pedestrians woke up the blazing sun. People flooded the streets in the early morning hours seeking conversation rather than coffee. Everyone had different theories, questions, and stories pertaining to the previous day's cloud attack. The city buzzed with a vigor many had not seen their entire lives.

While the city buzzed, Radius snoozed. His usual discipline to wake up at exactly six in the morning betrayed him. The sunlight pushing through his closed curtains was his first indication of changed behavior. He threw his legs over the side of the bed and stared into his open palms as if they flashed his reflection. The day had started and he was already behind.

As Radius quickly dressed himself, Gold slumbered at the computer desk. His soft snore blended with the sounds of closet doors slamming and bookbag zippers flying up and down. The ghost slept through the noise with a smile.

"Gold!" commanded Radius, straightening a cuff on his button-down.

"Huh? What?" mumbled Gold.

"We're heading to the library. There's research to conduct."

Gold squinted his eyes at Radius. The short response generated more confusion than clarity. The teen watched his hand sink through the keyboard and appear underneath the desk before frowning. Reality returned. This was his second time waking up in an unfamiliar place. First the alley, and now, Radius's room.

Sadness seemed poised to overtake him, but a quick glance at Radius batted those negative feelings away. The word "research" was synonymous with "hope" to Gold. The genius turned hero had woken up and committed the start of his day to helping him.

A dusty and tattered bookbag shook in rhythm to each of Radius's steps down the stairs. His usual bag was lost in the turmoil. He had a good idea of where it was, and planned to retrieve it before returning home. The books inside were too valuable to his research. Also, he wanted to avoid accruing any fines that may jeopardize his good standing at the library.

As he made his way to the front door, his grandmother poked her head from around the corner. The worry in her eyes from the previous night was replaced with a redness indicative of a poor night's sleep. Stepping from the corner, she slid off a pink and green oven mitt.

"Good morning," she said, "I baked some banana muffins. I know you're in a hurry, but take a few and stuff them in your bag. You might get hungry later."

Gold lowered his eyes awaiting Radius's response, but there was none. The teen walked out of the house and shut the door behind him. A faint sigh urged Gold to turn back to the old woman.

"He must be eating breakfast with his friends," she said before disappearing behind the corner.

The relationship between Radius and his grandparents flustered Gold. Flying down the cul-de-sac to catch up with the non-respondent teen, Gold thought through their previous interactions. It disturbed him that Radius ignored the relief his grandparents displayed towards his safety, ignored the offer to watch the news report with them on the couch, and ignored his grandmother's banana muffins.

Gold needed to know the reason behind Radius's cold behavior. Too many people never got to experience the joys of a loving family. How could he take his for granted?