Chapter 8 (2/3): Kiri

Somersaulting in mid-air onto a nearby rooftop, the red-haired man stuck his landing and viewed his work. The spatial god roared in pain. Dirt and rain flew through the air painting miraculously upright buildings in natural colors.

The man gave a slight nod, affirming his success, and shifted his gaze to the animate skeleton watching nearby. He held his claw up allowing the last shards of cloud to tumble out. His cloak had a deep V-neck displaying his sculpted chest, damp with rain water.

The Skeleton Man managed to stand upright. It followed the strange man as he skipped down rooftops like steps. Wind from the spatial god's bellows still tossed bicycles and street signs around like flyers.

"Please let this guy be on our side," said Gold.

"His claw," said Radius as intellectual eagerness filled him, "I can't figure out how, but his claw can alter states of matter. That claw can change liquids and gasses into pure solids on contact."

Gold smiled, "He must be popular at parties."

"But what is he?" grumbled Radius, "He can't be human. He's not a ghost. He isn't a cloud. He's not a skeleton. Where does he fall in the taxonomy?"

As the mysterious man neared, the Skeleton Man found itself raising its head with each step. The man stood at least six-foot-six towering over the skeletal figure. His claw was also much larger up close. Bladed fingers scraped the ground. Above a smattering of freckles over his nose were austere dark-colored eyes.

"The Skeleton Man," said the man with a hint of deference in his tone, "You're real after all. I thought you were just smoke and mirrors. The product of some weird human's overactive imagination, but you're real. This is all real."

Radius carefully calculated how he and Gold should respond. This was the first time they needed to speak to someone as the Skeleton Man. He reasoned that he should lead any conversation. His partner's ebullience was destined to get them in trouble. The Skeleton Man needed to be a person of terseness and succinctness. The less words, the better.

"You look like you've been kicking cloud butt your whole life," said the Skeleton Man, "I'm impressed by that shiny claw you got there."

"Gold!" shouted Radius, "What're you doing?!"

"I'm talking to the guy. Did you want us to be the strong and silent type?"

"Let ME handle all conversations as the Skeleton Man."

"Aw, you're going to science people to death. People should think we're righteous and inspirational!"

"I appreciate your praise," said the man, "I saw the video of your battle against the cirrus cloud. You made quick work of a powerful foe. When I learned that you were in a place called, 'Nube City,' I had to meet you. The trip was over a thousand miles."

"A thousand miles? Then, I'm guessing that video has been disseminated worldwide," said the Skeleton Man.

Radius scolded himself for his myopia. He was so preoccupied with the scholars that would infiltrate the city. It never struck him that other people of various motives and affiliations might seek out the Skeleton Man too. His research wasn't the only thing threatened by the recording of his fight. The city was also threatened by the possible arrival of undesirable guests.

Yet still, he reasoned that a negative view of the videotape was unfair. If it wasn't for the work of Cameraman Stan and Reporter Wallace, then the mysterious man would have never traveled to the city. His arrival was an asset because he could help them against the spatial god.