Chapter 9 (2/2): Tkese

After an eventful day, the world finally came to a lull. Radius laid back in his bed with arms folded behind his head. He gave up on trying to sleep. Instead, he meditated on the abundance of thoughts cramming his cranium. His glasses irritated the bridge of his nose.

Crickets chirped outside of his window. The room would have been submerged in darkness if not for Gold's golden glow. The genius supposed that his partner also functioned as an unwanted nightlight.

The covers beneath him itched his skin. He studied Gold's slumbering body as part of it fell through his computer desk. His focus ping-ponged between ghosts and Fogs. He thought of skeletons, as well. There were simply too many objects of inquiry. Trying to understand the science behind them all was a daunting task. He seriously considered forming a team.

There were other members of the scientific community who might make adequate research assistants. He also flirted with the idea of casting a wide net, compiling several applications, and adjudicating those worthy of working under him. He sat up.

His accolades were displeased. They seemed to chide him for even considering sharing the glory. Radius felt ashamed. He earned his trophies, his ribbons, his articles, and his medals all on his own. Geniuses didn't need assistants or assistance. They needed people to get out of their way.

Radius worried that he was changing. Apprehension sparkled in his eye as he returned his focus to Gold. Were they getting too close? What were the side effects of occupying the same body? His mind trailed off so far that he failed to notice the green smoke that entered his bedroom.

"I don't see how you can sleep with all of that obnoxious light," spoke a voice smooth enough to caress eardrums.

Radius swung his legs to the side of his bed and met a pair of dark-green eyes. A man a few years older than him stood in the center of his bedroom. The stranger was surrounded by dissipating wispy green smoke clouds.

"Please don't be alarmed," said the stranger, adjusting his olive green parka jacket, "I just came to talk."

A dumbbell seemed to press against Radius's tongue. There were no words for what he saw. His windows were shut. His door was closed. The house was secure. And still, this man managed to access his room.

The genius's brain activated. He estimated his distance from Gold, assessing that he could reach him in three giant steps. They needed to become the Skeleton Man. Judging from the smoke, Radius inferred that the man was a cloud. That was until he examined his face. The nose, eyes, mouth, and forehead were human. He looked like a normal human.

"You're very accomplished," said the stranger, scanning the accolades on the wall, "I was never a fan of science. Too concrete. I prefer philosophy."

Discreetly, Radius shifted his gaze to Gold. The stranger detected his plan and casually walked over to the sleeping ghost. His straight dark-green hair swayed over his shoulders as he moved.

"What's the matter? Can't have a conversation without a witness?" said the stranger.

Extending a single finger, the man tapped Gold's shoulder.

The dumbbell continued to crush Radius's tongue. He found it unfathomable. The stranger made contact with a ghost. Even more, he saw Gold. The genius's body tensed. His throat tightened and sweat moistened his palms.

"Wakey, wakey, little ghost boy."

Gold brought his hands over his eyes and wiped away his sleepiness. A loud yawn circulated the room. Turning in his chair, Gold looked over at who was tapping his shoulder.

His body flew through the computer desk. Frenetic hands rubbed across his stomach and shoulders. His heartbeat blared in his ears. Startled eyes tracked the slim finger to the arm to the shoulder and to the face. Gold recognized that face.