Chapter 30

Josh POV

Tyler told me the whole story of this kid who suddenly appeared in his life. He and Jenna had such good hearts.

But what a fucked up story. I remembered that lawyer. Deitz, I think was his name. I was going to look him up after. I bet that if he was in jail for killing his wife, and really wanting to kill his kid, it'll be in the news.

I'd flown halfway across the country to find out why he hadn't been returning my calls, and this is what I got confronted with.

I couldn't blame him. I couldn't blame Jenna. They are two of the most kind hearted people I know. But I didn't know if taking on a kid who clearly has a lot of issues, let alone just being diabetic.

I have to admit, I'm worried, to a point, what this is going to mean about music and touring. Is Tyler going to be able to focus and write? What happens if the issues with this kid take up more of his time. But I couldn't fault him. I was going to get to know this kid, though. Because if she's as important to Tyler as I can tell she is, and since they're already in the process of adopting her, she's gonna be around and that makes her a part of our family.

---------------------------

Samantha POV

"I don't think Josh likes me," I said to Jenna, as I pulled clothes out the dryer so she could put the stuff in the wash into the dryer.

"Why do you think that?" Jenna asked.

"Because, I took his room, Tyler was too busy to call him this week because of me," I said.

"Oh, honey," Jenna said, stopping what she was doing. "Josh likes you, I'm sure."

"Why would he? He doesn't even know me,"

"Well, let him get to know you better. I know it's hard for you. But Josh is a big part of our lives and he's going to be around pretty often. So, you need to try to get to know him, and you need to try to let him get to know you. He's not going to bite."

I smiled.

"I don't know how long he's going to be staying," Jenna said. "But I'd guess probably a good part of this week. So you'll have plenty of time to get to know him after school and at breakfast time."

"What if he finds out about my dad and stuff?"

"Well, I have a feeling Tyler will have already told him about your dad. It turns out that your dad was the lawyer they used for some negotiations on one of their albums."

"They used my dad!? And you still want to adopt me?"

"Tyler is really upset now that he knows. Obviously they didn't know he was your dad when they used him. And Tyler is really, really upset about it."

"Well, he's a good lawyer," I said.

"I've heard. But Samantha, he's not going to be in your life anymore. You don't have to worry about that."

"You don't know that. Like I said, he's a good lawyer."

-------------------

Jenna's POV

Samantha looked upset when she came upstairs with me.

"I don't think Josh likes me," she said.

I listened to her and talked to her, trying to encourage her to give Josh a chance. He's a big part of our lives.

I told her that Tyler and Josh had used her dad as their lawyer on one of their albums. She didn't seem upset or surprised.

"He's a good lawyer," she said. I saw something in her eyes that worried me just a bit.